cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do you think this is what's keeping me below 700?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: do you think this is what's keeping me below 700?

i didn't realize i had so many lates so that about sums it up. as stated, it's quite obvious at this point
Message 51 of 60
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

@EdMan63 wrote:

Inquiries matter a lot when they are not yet a year old. I had 4 age to over year this month and my score went up 7 points on EX from that alone. Other wise I had no real movement the last few months. Given how close you are to 700 I would wager that they are holding you down a lot more than you suspect. 

Wow, that one baddie listed in your sig is worth ~100 points?? Or is there something else going on?

Message 52 of 60
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

It's pretty clear his biggest CS hits are from lates and derogs.
Though the others are factors. Those factors are small. That's from my own experience. Not from what someone thinks it should be. Some of you guys have folks believing if you have 10 inqs and a 1 year AAoA that your scores will be in the toilet.
Not true at all. 

It's not just about score though. Your score won't necessarily be "in the toilet" for tons of inqs and low AAOA, but it doesn't look good to underwriters, which is ultimately more important than what your numeric score is. I'm talking about the whole file here. Aggressive credit seeking doesn't look good on any file, regardless of whether your score is impacted largely or not.

Message 53 of 60
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW I gain or lose 7 points from cards reporting from 1-3 > 25% > 50% based on my EQ FICO 8 data and what others seem to hold true too.

You're at a wierd breakpoint of 7 reporting a balance, 7 not reporting, but if that's two ticks, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if you eliminated some of those balances that you'd eek out 6 points; didn't have the ability to really test EX concretely until somewhat recently and I haven't cared enough to do that as I'm in a fugue regarding my credit post mortgage.

If you have to pretty your report up for something, go for it; that said, time passing will be fine.  Or maybe you can console yourself with a FICO 9 score like I can with Equifax sitting at a 780... though I ain't running out to the High Achiever's thread to post that score haha.

        
Message 54 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol i have no credit plans for a few years. was just curious but once i realized the negatives on my report (HOW MANY OF THEM) i realize i am lucky to even be NEARA 700
Message 55 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pizza1 When you say, "FICO says the magic number is three" do you mean (it's really one card showing a $2 balance) to get the full 100% out of the 35% UTI bucket which is part of everyone's credit score model?
Message 56 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I went from 6 or 7 cards reporting a balcnce (out of 21 cards) to 4 cards reporting a balance, I noticed a score increase.

I'd pay off the smaller balances and consolidate the others if you are unable to pay them off at this time.

Other factors will still have an effect, but it doesn't hurt to change/reduce the factors that are within your control.

Message 57 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
CCU $500 - $0
AmEx Hilton HHonors $1,000 - $0
Discover It $1,700 - $973
Chase Freedom $2,000 - $0
AmEx ED $2,000 - $245
WF Platinum $3,000 - $0
Cap1 QS $3,000 - $375
Cap1 QS $3,000 - not yet reporting
Barclaycard Sallie Mae $3,200 -$193
Amazon Prime $5,000 - $40?
Chase Marriott $5,000 - not reporting
Cap1 Venture $5,000 - not reporting
Kay Jewelers $5,300 - $0
NFCU Flagship $8,000 - $0
NFCU cashRewards $10,000 - $66
Lowes $12,000 - $0
Cap1 Venture $13,000 - $538

do you think reporting SO many cards (even though quite low balances) is keeping me below that 700 threshold? or would that probably not help it much?
EQ - 672
TU - 695
EX - 694

Terror,

you have a really nice profile there, your utilization is not too crazy.

i have found each CR is effected a lil differently.

EX really keys on Util. I see a 3-5 point swing when near or up to 10% 

TU works well for me with a nice usage and payment history, (each card reporting usage and statements reporting less each month)

EQ is a bear, they are really new card and inquiry sensitive, they take time and gardening is key.

i think you would see your scores raise over the next 3-6 months by gardening, usage and payments, keep your individual and overall usage at or under 8%.

go after some CLI's or CL consolidating to help with utilization and fight an itchy trigger finger.

I'm sure you will only have success going forward!

Message 58 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

some limits have increased since this post and utilization is down. no changes in score yet
Message 59 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
some limits have increased since this post and utilization is down. no changes in score yet

Terror,

Ive tracked the last 3 months of gardening and the impact on my scores.

I have added about $15k - $20k in CLI's, combined and closed 4 cards, most of my accounts show at least $50 - $100 less with each statement posted on activate accounts, more than half PIF. plenty of usage on most accounts.

I'm working on wiping out all interest on cards, so I've done a few BT for 0%, then my next step is to get utilization down to 5% max on all accounts. I feel showing you can pay down a balance on a few card effects my scores in a more positive manner.

I app'd for quite a few cards 3 months ago. and my scores are recovering nicely.

EX - from 711 - 715

EQ - from 681 - 700

TU - from 718 - 742

My EX is rock hard, scores do not change unless my usage hits 10%, which only happen once when I had a LOC report early. (Fixed that quick) my utilization is 7% overall and nothing above 17%  individually which is where I have recently done a BT.

Message 60 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.