cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drop in score - ????????/

tag
jmhqpa

drop in score - ????????/

Should my score have dropped 20+ points for a mortgage loan inquiry - nothing else has changed in my credit picture other than account balances dropping slightly

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: drop in score - ????????/

Where did you get your score from before the inquiry? Where did you get your score from after the inquiry?

Message 2 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

+1

You have three classic FICO scores, generally used for mortgage pulls --one per credit bureau.

You have umpty-billion other "credit scores", including all the roll-your-own FAKO scores and some FICO variants.

None reliably match to another.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious how many credit forums you posted this exact thread on. 

Message 4 of 12
jmhqpa

The  first score was sent in the letter from the mortgage company - the second score came from a second mortgage company

Message 5 of 12
jmhqpa

this is the only formum I have used

Message 6 of 12
GregB
Valued Contributor

If both were scores from a mortgage application then they were pretty much guaranteed to be FICO scores.

I don't think it would be a big surprise to lose 20 points for a mortgage app although it does seem a bit high.

If they only reported one score it would be the middle FICO score so second score is not necessarily from the same CRA as the first.

Why don't you get your real EQ FICO here so you know what it is?

Message 7 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@jmhqpa wrote:

The  first score was sent in the letter from the mortgage company - the second score came from a second mortgage company

Check to make sure both pulled a FICO score (highly likely). Then check to see which versions of FICO score they used. There are different versions of FICO used out there, though most are predominate. There are some that use older or new versions which might not be that commonly used. Comparing different versions could easily explain the 20 points. Look on your tri-merge reports. They will say which version was used (e.g. "Beacon 5.0" for EFX or "Fair Isaac Risk Model v2" for XPN as an example).

Assuming for second that you do have exact matches, then look for differences in the reports. Even $1 off can result in a score change (in some scenarios). Look for the smallest of differences between both reports. Also, inquiries, per FICO scoring, are duplicated if the reports were pulled within a given time frame (14-45 days depending on the FICO version used). So, you could apply 100 times in a week and FICO will only ding you for one inquiry and will ignore the rest. This is done so you can rate shop and get a better deal. Also, the impact of the inquiry will not happen until the window expires. So, if you pull now, the damage (if any) of the inquiry will not be seen until the end of the 14 days, 30 days, 45 or whatever based on the FICO version.

ETA...slow typer syndrome.

Message 8 of 12
GregB
Valued Contributor

I was assuming the "window" from the original mortgage app had expired. After re-reading, I think I shouldn't have assumed that. It is too bad that OP didn't include info like the date of the mortgage apps.

Dedupe of auto and mortgage app inquiries was 14 days on TU 98 but changed to 45 days on TU 04 & 08. I don't know what it is on EX and EQ.

Message 9 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@GregB wrote:

Dedupe of auto and mortgage app inquiries was 14 days on TU 98 but changed to 45 days on TU 04 & 08. I don't know what it is on EX and EQ.

Not sure on EX, but Beacon 5.0 (EQ) for sure is 30.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.