cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

experian Score went down over 30 points for making a credit card payment?????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

experian Score went down over 30 points for making a credit card payment?????

Paid a credit card payment dropping the balance utilization from 77% to 44% and score dropped 30 plus points. Why? Last month score went up for making payment dropping the utilization balance only 5%. What the hell is going on? And no nothing else what so ever changed on my report besides the utilazation dropping 77% to 44%. I thought that is good and makes the score improve.....am I wrong?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: experian Score went down over 30 points for making a credit card payment?????

Dropping utilization to anything other than 0% will not decrease a score; if your score dropped it's for some other reason.  Also you said you made a payment which dropped your utilization.  Was the updated balance reported to the bureaus yet?  Do you have other cards with balances?  What are they?  What's your aggregate utilization percentage? 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: experian Score went down over 30 points for making a credit card payment?????

This is the only credit card I have and the only thing at all financed on my credit. I have no other reporting agencies besides this credit card. Yes the balance was updated showing the new balance, which dropped the utilization percentage 30%. NOTHING else what so ever was reported or changed or inquired on my report.
Message 3 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This is the only credit card I have and the only thing at all financed on my credit. I have no other reporting agencies besides this credit card. Yes the balance was updated showing the new balance, which dropped the utilization percentage 30%. NOTHING else what so ever was reported or changed or inquired on my report.

The utilization is not ever the only change...AAoA increases by 1 month, length of time since last inquiry is also one more month. Both of these should in theory, make a score go up, as should lower utilization if it has any effect. You cannot always pinpoint what actually causes a change. It is even possible that it could be due to rebucketing. If this is in fact your only credit account period, you barely have enough to generate a score, and a thin file can have drastic changes, for minor difference. You probably need to build a thicker credit file.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I def. get that I need more credit accounts but by using "MyFico" simulator and paying what I paid onto the credit account it showed my credit moving up....not down. Makes no sense and I am firm believer now that the credit bureaus are just in it for the banking industry to be able to hold you to a higher interest rate than what is deserved. Like I said everyone agrees lowering a cards utilization should in no way lower your score. I'm proof it just did....F.U. Experian
Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Was the account delinquent when the updated reporting was made?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I opened this account last year to rebuild credit through USAA and I have paid every month earlier than the due date and paid at least 4X more than minimum payment. Both Equifax and Transunion both raised my score this month but Experian dropped over 30 points.

Message 7 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I def. get that I need more credit accounts but by using "MyFico" simulator and paying what I paid onto the credit account it showed my credit moving up....not down. Makes no sense and I am firm believer now that the credit bureaus are just in it for the banking industry to be able to hold you to a higher interest rate than what is deserved. Like I said everyone agrees lowering a cards utilization should in no way lower your score. I'm proof it just did....F.U. Experian

Myfico simulator is worthless as a credit score predictor.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea it appears the simulator is as worthless as **bleep** on a boar hog.....

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

All simulators are garbage, not just the one found here.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.