cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Upgrade Program....credit impact (opinions please...)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

iPhone Upgrade Program....credit impact (opinions please...)

I posted previously about being on the iPhone Upgrade Program.  I have been on it for three years and have had 2 credit lines.  1 Credit line for one phone until it was paid off, and then the other two phones were upgraded each year meaning they paid the rest of the loan and opened another one.

Two Questions....my credit score over the last year due to financial difficulties and dumb mistakes (I am in my late 20's and learning the hard way) has dropped and is only 570ish from low 700's in the last year after getting a new car and buying a new computer....My phone is broke and the easier option is to upgrade (which is why I am on the plan anyway)..

1. They can't guarantee that it will be a hard pull (they said it might be soft / hard because I have been on the program for 2 years already).  How much do you guys think it will impact my credit score?

2.  Do you think it will be approved?  I have had an excellent payment history with them and only missed 1-2 payments over three years.  They told be if not approved, I could appeal it and they would most likely push it through because of my history with them.

I really don't want to pay for a blown speaker and microphone and have been having a ton  of issues with this phone...I am working on rebuilding credit and have some professional's in my family that are helping with this so I am trying to also get some other outsider opinion's and thoughts as well..

Thanks for your input and answers, I really appreciate it.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: iPhone Upgrade Program....credit impact (opinions please...)

1. They can't guarantee that it will be a hard pull (they said it might be soft / hard because I have been on the program for 2 years already).  How much do you guys think it will impact my credit score?  Any new inquiry can cost around 5 to 7 points and effect your credit that way for up to a year. 

2.  Do you think it will be approved?  That is anyone's guess, but I would say likely, due to your prior releationship with them.  But of course, nothing is guaranteed. I have had an excellent payment history with them and only missed 1-2 payments over three years.  They told be if not approved, I could appeal it and they would most likely push it through because of my history with them.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 4
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

99.9% a HP.

If declined, ask about paying a deposit.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would be nice if this type of thing was reprted to the CB as an account in good standing and paid etc. Instead of just countless inquiries.

Also a good reason to purchase insurance on these new more expensive phones. IMO 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.