Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help in raising my score ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

need help in raising my score ?

hello there i am 38 years old and i need help in raising my credit score. my fico score through credit karma transunion 563, equifax 594

exp 543. i have 2 credit cards american express and capital one. i also have a car loan with bridgecrest and i also have a loan with onemain and another loan with acceptance now.

american express is max out at $3000

capital one credit limt is 1500 and i am at 1490

car loan will be paid off in august 2020

acceptance now loan will be paid off in august 2020

onemain should be paid of in nov of 2022.

now that i am making more money i am ready to start paying down the credit cards maybe send them 500 to 800 a month untill its paid off. i am trying to see in what way should go to raise my score asap. my goal is to start looking into buying my first home next year. plase help. thank you.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: need help in raising my score ?

For optimized scoring; aggregate utilization 8.9% or below, individual utilization 28.9% or below. See AZEO, All Zero Except One card reporting a balance.

You're maxed out so your receiving maximum penalty points.

Message 2 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Message 3 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Free mortgage scores

EX2 + 3 Bureau report for $1 at Experian or CreditCheckTotal (part of Experian). Cancel in 7 days or less to avoid the reoccurring charge.
TU4 WyHy quarterly score. Not sure on membership requirement. Maybe hard pull TU?
EQ5 Get a savings account with DCU. Soft pull EQ to be a member. Free monthly score.

Message 4 of 15
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Paying your cards down will give you the fastest credit boost. 

A tip completely based on finances (this has no effect on scoring): if you are carrying a balance and paying interest, make your payment as soon as possible after your statement cuts instead of on the due date. The reason is credit cards use the "average daily balance" method to calculate interest charges so the sooner you pay the lower your average daily balance will be and the less interest you will pay.

Message 5 of 15
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

hello there i am 38 years old and i need help in raising my credit score. my fico score through credit karma transunion 563, equifax 594

exp 543.

If I missed I'm sorry.  But I don't see where the score model was addressed.  Credit Karma does not provide FICO scores.  They provide Vantage 3, used by less than 10% of lenders.  Not sure where you're pulling your EX score.

But several have mentioned where you can get FICO scores.  You may find they are close or could be far apart. You should probably start there and get a true picture of your FICO scores. But the information provided above is sound and reducing your UTL will definitely improve your scores because you're maxed on CC.  For scoring, bringing each card's UTL below each known threshold should produce positive results (88.9%, 68.9%, 48.9%, 28.9%, 8.9%).   

Not sure what Onemain is but if it's not an installment loan, keep in mind you'll likely lose some points if all installment loans are paid off.  But as often stated, finances over scores.

Good Luck!

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 6 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Agree with Trudy, as mentioned up thread, CreditKarma is great for monitoring your reports. The scores should be ignored.

Message 7 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Message 8 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

exp 543. i have 2 credit cards american express and capital one. i also have a car loan with bridgecrest and i also have a loan with onemain and another loan with acceptance now.

american express is max out at $3000

capital one credit limt is 1500 and i am at 1490

car loan will be paid off in august 2020

acceptance now loan will be paid off in august 2020

onemain should be paid of in nov of 2022.

now that i am making more money i am ready to start paying down the credit cards maybe send them 500 to 800 a month untill its paid off. i am trying to see in what way should go to raise my score asap. my goal is to start looking into buying my first home next year. plase help. thank you.

Also if you plan on buying a home? ..Do not apply for any credit 1 year prior to applying for a mortgage.

Also you will want to pay your debt down as close to zero as possible.

Good Luck!

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your input !!!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.