cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help me understand why my score dropped drastically?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

please help me understand why my score dropped drastically?

I started a car loan in August 2018 which the bank reported to the credit unions on Sept 10, 2018. On Sept 12, 2018 my score dropped by 63 points. The bank told me that they will start the installments after 2 months. So they did not deduct any installment uptil Nov 2018. Again on Oct 5 my score dropped by 68 points. From very good score which was above 750 my current score is 639. When it was the bank's decision to start the installments after two months why my score dropped? I have not missed any of the installment. What can I do to bring the score back up? I have only two credit lines and the first one started only 2 years back when I moved to US. I am planning to buy a house and the low score is hurting.

15 REPLIES 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: please help me understand why my score dropped drastically?

Calculate your average age of accounts before and after addition of the new account with only two month's age.

With a thin file, it may be very significant......

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My oldest account is little more than two years. What do I do to bring it up? Should I pay some part of my car loan? I took a car loan to build another credit line but the result was opposite

Message 3 of 16
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

What is the other credit line besides the car? And yes AAoA under 2 yrs hurts. Since it looks like you took a hit. If you have 1 CC. Another will help. But either way its going to take time.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where are you getting your scores from?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should go through your reports carefully and see if something else is going on at the same time. I could believe a score drop initially when the loan appears (although a 63pt drop seems extreme), but the loan causing a subsequent 68pt drop the following month doesn’t make sense. I don’t have any explanation why you’d lose 131pts this way. I would think something else happened (assuming as Overmedicated implied, that you are reading FICO scores).
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On Sept 12, 2018 my score dropped by 63 points.

What score?  What is the source of your score?  If it isn't a FICO score it isn't relevant or meaningful.

Message 7 of 16
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When it was the bank's decision to start the installments after two months why my score dropped? I have not missed any of the installment. 

Unless it was reported as a late payment (over 30 days), when your first payment was made shouldn't matter. As @

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

On Sept 12, 2018 my score dropped by 63 points.

What score?  What is the source of your score?  If it isn't a FICO score it isn't relevant or meaningful.

This is my credit score from Experian. I have created an account on their site and keeps sending me alert about credit score increase and decrease. I was not paying much attention to it. But lately I pulled a credit report from them and found that my credit score was 639. I went back and looked at the alerts and found two alerts on sudden decrease of over 60 points in September and October, just after the lender informed the credit bureau of my new car loan account.

So, are you saying that I should not worry about this credit score at all? I am looking for a house and dont want anything to come as a surprise while applying for a mortgage loan.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
You should go through your reports carefully and see if something else is going on at the same time. I could believe a score drop initially when the loan appears (although a 63pt drop seems extreme), but the loan causing a subsequent 68pt drop the following month doesn’t make sense. I don’t have any explanation why you’d lose 131pts this way. I would think something else happened (assuming as Overmedicated implied, that you are reading FICO scores).

The credit score is on my Experian statement. I registered on Experian site for an account and pulled the credit report. When I looked at the credit alerts it showed two sudden drops in Sept and Oct. Should I pull a credit report from annualcreditreport.com, but it will not give my credit score. What is the other option? Thanks.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.