"Correct" number of open accounts?

tag
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

Re: "Correct" number of open accounts?

@webhopper wrote:

Hi and welcome to myFICO forums!

CK scores are what we like to call FAKOs

The FAKO "credit scores" sold by the CRA's and other companies aren't necessarily "better" or "worse" predictors of risk than FICO scores, but since FICO scores are the accepted standard, pretty much every lender will pull FICO scores, not FAKO scores. So FAKO's really aren't any use and folks shouldn't bother buying them.

Easiest thing to do is get your FICO scores right here.
Even easier to get your credit reports free annually from the individual CRA's. Go to the source. Always better!

Please check out Credit Scoring 101 for more info.

Credit Karma information should be labeled "For Entertainment Only" as it does not usually contain a lot of valuable information

Credit Karama assessments and scores yes should be considered "For Entertainment Only", but for regular updates on balance information and new accounts, closed accounts, DTI, etc, it's a very useful tool if you can get over the constant ad bombardment.

Their scoring models and grading system do not correspond to FICO scoring model which is used by lenders.

I would take anything listed on the site with a grain of salt.

Once you get over the initial infatuation with scores that most people new to credit management go through, you realizing its much more important to know EXACTLY what's on your credit reports at the time you are applying for new credit of some kind.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 11 of 13
Simply827
Established Contributor

Also it's number of accounts, not just CC accounts. I have 11 student loan TL so with that and my CCs I'm not too far from an "A". But I really don't pay CK much mind. They have my score as a 619 when my TU FICO is in the 660s-670s.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 12 of 13
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Since this thread is heading in a direction having to do with Credit Reports I'm going to take the liberty of moving it to the General Credit Topics Forum. 

There are several CMS that are available, Ilecs has written a very handy guide!

Hello! Welcome to the MyFico Community Forums!

Our moderator, Ilecs, has posted a wonderful guide which outlines the various Credit Monitoring Services available.

The guide can be found below:

Credit Monitoring Service Guide  by  Ilecs.

Feel free to read the above guide which may help you to explore options.

I personally have used various services in the past, and have found several of the services mentioned within the thread to be helpful for my situation.

In the past I have pulled my reports daily, monthly, quarterly, and yearly... It all depends on the changes I'm expecting; Some services allow multiple (even daily) pulls for one price.

Best of luck to you!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.