Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove fraud alert on transunion and experian

tag
mousefai
New Contributor

remove fraud alert on transunion and experian

hi,

i tried to remove a fraud alert on my account. however, i dont want to send mails to experian. is there any faster way to remove alert (by phone or fax)? i know i can remove fraud alert on phone by equifax?

anybody also knows a faster way to remove fraud alert from transunion?

thanks. 

HSBC PREMIER WORLD MASTERCARD- 12000 LIMITS, PENFED- 2500 LIMITS, DISCOVER IT- 10000 LIMITS, CHASE FREEDOM- 3500 LIMITS, USAA MASTERCARD- 6500 LIMITS, CHASE SAPPHIRE- 7000 LIMITS, AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY- 8000 LIMITS, US BANKS VISA PLATINUM- 5000 LIMITS, BARCLAY REWARD- 1500 LIMITS, WELLS FARGO VISA SIGNATURE- 5000 LIMITS, NORSTORM VISA- 5000 LIMITS, SUNTRUST- 1500 LIMITS

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: remove fraud alert on transunion and experian

EX and EQ requires you to remove a FA by writing them and sending proof of indentity.  I don't think there is anyway around that.

TU says it can be removed online but I don't know for sure if you can.

Message 2 of 6
mousefai
New Contributor

i can remove eq report by phone last month.

i remmeber i once remove tu alert by phone too, but it was a while ago, not sure did they still have that now.

for ex, i dont know how to do it except sending them mails.

HSBC PREMIER WORLD MASTERCARD- 12000 LIMITS, PENFED- 2500 LIMITS, DISCOVER IT- 10000 LIMITS, CHASE FREEDOM- 3500 LIMITS, USAA MASTERCARD- 6500 LIMITS, CHASE SAPPHIRE- 7000 LIMITS, AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY- 8000 LIMITS, US BANKS VISA PLATINUM- 5000 LIMITS, BARCLAY REWARD- 1500 LIMITS, WELLS FARGO VISA SIGNATURE- 5000 LIMITS, NORSTORM VISA- 5000 LIMITS, SUNTRUST- 1500 LIMITS

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 605(d) clearly expresses that CRAs must establish policies and procedures that allow consumers to request initial and extended fraud alerts "in a simple and easy manner, including by telephone."

While similar language is not provided for requests to remove fraud alerts, the same would logically apply by inference.

However, if the CRA has established procedure that proof of identity must be provided ih writing rather than by oral comfirmation over the phone, they can make such a request.

It would appear more prudent when requesting removal of a fraud alert, as the issue is potential identity theft, and thus ensuring that the requestor is the actual consumer is clearly paramount. 

I would be more concerned if they did not require clear proof of identity when rescinding an alert of potential fraud or identity thett.........

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just removed a Transunion extended fraud alert that I didn't put on that I found out about, I called and went to https://fraud.transunion.com
1-800-680-7289 and they asked me a few security questions and instantly (no wait) they removed the alert off my account and you can verify that by making an account at the fraud site.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just removed my initial fraud alert on Transunion online.

Now may I can opt in for pre-approved offers.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.