Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to close a terrible CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: want to close a terrible CC

I might go a step further with that card...tell them that you just got approved for a no annual fee card and that you are closing this card because you don't need it anymore. With most companies, anytime a customer wishes to end service for almost any reason other than moving to a non-serviceable area, the customer retention machinery kicks in. In the call center I work in (a local telcom/ISP/cable co), ANY time a customer goes to cancel, we have to send them to the Saves Team, which is authorized to offer all kinds of perks...
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is true that closing a revolving account (even one with $0.00 balance) can hurt your score for a few months, however, the fees you are paying are unacceptable, so close it. 

Do it both by calling Customer Service and in writing by mail, and verify that it was done.  

To build (rebuild) credit ***never*** use an American Express charge card or a Capital One credit card.   Neither of them report credit limits to credit bureaus (this ***hurts*** your score), and Amex does not reports "good behavior" (paying in time), only "bad behavior" (paying late).

Message 13 of 17
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

bdonau wrote:
It is true that closing a revolving account (even one with $0.00 balance) can hurt your score for a few months, however, the fees you are paying are unacceptable, so close it. 

Do it both by calling Customer Service and in writing by mail, and verify that it was done.  

To build (rebuild) credit ***never*** use an American Express charge card or a Capital One credit card.   Neither of them report credit limits to credit bureaus (this ***hurts*** your score), and Amex does not reports "good behavior" (paying in time), only "bad behavior" (paying late).

Just want to add so the OP knows... AMEX charge cards and credit cards are not the same.

Message 14 of 17
drmom

i had to close a terrible cc too Smiley Happy i had a premier cc that was my very first cc, and it had the high yearly fee, high percentage rate, and a MONTHLY fee. once i qualified for an orchard cc, i tried to see if premier would drop the monthly rate or raise my credit limit, and they refused--so i closed it. my credit score did take a bit of a knock when i closed it, but recovered quickly. so overall, i'd say to dump your card, those fees just aren't worth it!! i can also highly recommend orchard bank cc--they are very reasonable. dr. mom
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the aspire Visa and just yesterday I got a letter in the mail stating they are droping 50 from the 150 annual fee plus I got an CLI..wow !how about no more annual fees .Never late and had this card over a year always paying way beyond my monthly due...Can't wait til  my scores go up so I can get away from these types of cards..

First Premier must have been watching my CRs b/c they write with offers often ...
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy, what kind of card is your HSBC?  I have an HSBC MC Gold that came with an annual fee.  I recently phoned and asked them to remove the annual fee and was told that they could not with that particular card and aslo told that there was no upgrad or conversion with that card. I am only concerned with keeping the card because it is my oldest revolving card. Do you think that HSBC is just giving me a hard time of not removing the annual fee?  They invited me to apply for another card but that would cause me hard pulls on my CR.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.