Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats the difference between vantage 3.0 and FICO

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

whats the difference between vantage 3.0 and FICO

When would the creditor use either and which is more accurate?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: whats the difference between vantage 3.0 and FICO

Both are as "accurate" as the credit report, but I don't know of any creditors that actually use Vantage, despite their claims to the contrary.

They are as different as the dozens of various FICO scoring models, weighing certain items higher than others.  For instance, FICO considers Authorized User accounts, Vantage 3.0 does not.  There's others, that's just one example.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I've read the most common place to see VS 3.0 used is with things like utility companies, cell phone providers, landlords, etc.  Almost all creditors out there use the FICO models from what I've seen.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

yep, same here.

Message 4 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Both are as "accurate" as the credit report, but I don't know of any creditors that actually use Vantage, despite their claims to the contrary.

They are as different as the dozens of various FICO scoring models, weighing certain items higher than others.  For instance, FICO considers Authorized User accounts, Vantage 3.0 does not.  There's others, that's just one example.

AU .gif

VantageScore 3.0 does consider AU accounts - but only positive activity. Fico 8 may or may not consider AU accounts (my AU account is NOT factored in). Two of the three CRAs factor in negative AU account information, the CRA does not. Can't recall which one does not from memory.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It must be included in 3.0 then beause everything I'm finding says they don't factor AU at all and never have, but those sources are a few years old.

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It must be included in 3.0 then beause everything I'm finding says they don't factor AU at all and never have, but those sources are a few years old.

Probably, they had the benefit of hindsight seeing the uproar from millions of angry spouses that suddenly lost all access to credit in FICO 8 because they were just AU's on their SO's card.

FICO backtracked on that in a hurry and implemented their anti-abuse algorithm so AU's may or may not be counted; VS 3 was released after that, it'd foolish of them not to learn from the prior issue so I assume that it was indeed put into VS 3.

        
Message 7 of 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Credit Karma's Vantage 3 does count AU's. I added my nephew to a few of our cards to start his credit and that's all that is on his reports and he has scores there.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.