Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

worse credit than before!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: worse credit than before!!

Tersen,

I was referring to creditboards.com.  I stumbled upon it a couple of weeks ago.  A lot of myfico users use this site as well.
Message 11 of 14
M-2008
Valued Member

Angiepharm,

I can empathize with your situation.  I stopped using credit about 5 years ago and started repairing past problems in 2006.  I had several cc sent to CA, a paid judgment and student loans that came out of deferment without me knowing -- listing as 90+ days late.  I found that even though things started "looking better" I was still getting denied for credit and my scores were not improving.

After about a year of looking for credit and being denied (ouch those inq- still hurt!), I opened a secured credit-card.  I think my score went up +50 in one month!  I am finishing school this semester and took out a credit-based private student loan and the score went up +25! 

I don't want or need to spend on credit, but, like you, I want to own a house so that means I have to play the fico games.   I didn't realize that not spending on any credit was hurting me just as much as the old late payments and derogatory info.

I don't know the full details of your situation, but "new" credit with positive information (i.e. no lates, low util, etc.) might help your scores improve -- it certainly did mine.  I am trying to "dilute" the past bad items with the new good items!  I have also not opened too much credit too soon but will probably open another secured cc probably with BofA in the next several months (I don't want to deal with an inq and potentially not get approved -- I guess have gotten one too many denial letters... )

I look at it this way, I can use the the security deposit from the secured- CC as part of my down payment for my house.  Smiley Happy

Don't give up hope -- I'm sure it will get better.

Message Edited by M-2008 on 03-27-2008 11:42 AM -- Sorry spelling error...

Message Edited by M-2008 on 03-27-2008 11:54 AM
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Angiepharm,

You are on your way up, there's no other way to look at it. One step forward, two steps back is not fun, but you're still going forward. I have to say at one point, just a few years back my credit was worse than yours...no really. I has a BK, then, I guess the auto company thought they could claim the car as a repo just 6 months later, even though it was part of the BK.

Then about every other month or so a few CC companies would still file as charge-offs and not part of the BK. At one point I was around a 360-370. I figured it didn't matter then and let all the baddies pile up until I couldn't take it.

Once, I pulled my head out of my a$$ and stopped feeling sorry for myself, because before the BK I had almost an 800 score (my husband hurt his back and I was a stay at home mom). I decided to clean up my act. I fought for everything and made sure every detail on every credit report was correct and if it wasn't I disputed it.

Within a few months things started looking up and it has been going good since. There will always be potholes in the road along the way, as well as learning experiences, such as your case (co-signing for EX).

Keep working hard, pay on time, dispute even the the smallest discrepancy, because in the long run it all helps out.

Months of hard work to build our credit score can be hurt by 1 bad file overnight.

Keep a positive outlook and work towards your goal.
Message 13 of 14
treschic
Frequent Contributor

thanks everyone for your words of encouragement.  i'm always double checking my credit report (EX-backdoor method Smiley Wink ), to make sure that i haven't missed anything.  but then it just becomes almost depressing when i look at how much crap is still on my report. none of my friends understand, and they think i'm crazy.  one of my friends yesterday said, credit doesn't matter, you make good money, you'll get a car and house no problem.  and i try to explain to them, that's easier said than done.  they have 650+ credit scores and don't have the same issues as i do.  their parents made sure that they had spotless credit, by making them authroized users on their credit cards to teach them how to use credit, and paid their credit cards. my mother got utilities and credit cards in my name and let them go to collections.  she'd say, oh i paid that, and then i find out that she didn't when i check my credit report.   i had to make choices like, pay this bill or be homeless.  i don't regret my decisions, because had i not made those choices, i wouldn't be in the position to be able to actually repay and not just wait until it falls off.  and i do understand that its the moral thing to do to pay, but when you either have to go to the doctor, because you've been vomitting everyday and have a 100+ temp, i think i'd rather just have to have a collection and be alive, than the alternative.  i do definently understand the importance of teaching children the importance of credit.  we had workshops in high school to teach us about it, but all i heard was blah blah blah.  my mom was definently not a good role model as far as teaching about credit, but i'm not using any of this as an excuse.  i take responsibility for everything, and i'm feel like i'm burning in hell for my mistakes.  (just joking)

well, i'm done venting, thank you everyone for your positive posts, it is very much so appreciated.  i guess i'll start on my next round of disputes and dv for those ca's reporting paid, when i paid the oc.  thanks again!!!!
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.