Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Refinance to Conventional?

tag
beegeez
Established Member

Can I Refinance to Conventional?

I've had an FHA mortgage @ 5.25% for 1 1/2 years.  I owe 230K.  Because of the increase in MI premium it doesn't make sense to refi to another FHA.

Would it be possible to refi to a conventional?  I think I have enough equity that I could hopefully avoid MI.

The only other debt I have would be a $350/month student loan payment.  My monthly gross is $3,580. I'm specifically worried about debt to income.

Any help is really appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Can I Refinance to Conventional?

yep. dti will be high.

how much is taxes/insurance?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 6
beegeez
Established Member

$1900 annual for homeowners insurance

$3050 in annual property taxes

Thanks for the help!

Message 3 of 6
beegeez
Established Member

Any other thoughts on this?  Or am I just out of luck?

Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@beegeez wrote:

Any other thoughts on this?  Or am I just out of luck?

Have you spoken to a LO in your area for refi to conventional? He/she ought to be able to give you hard numbers to see where you fit.

One of my buyers just got a FHA loan at 3% fixed 30 yrs last week. I don't know where conventional is at the moment, but I can refer you to a LO that knows and might be able to help you. PM me if you are interested (they have locations all across the country).

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

To refi to conventional you will need to meet the lending standards as if you are buying the house.  You will need to have atleast 80% percent equity in the house to avoid mortgage insurance.  They will hold you most likely to max of 45% DTI on the backend.  Quickest way to see what you could qualify for is;

3580 x .45 is 1732

You have one debt and that is 350 in student loans.  That leaves you with 1382.50.  1445

By calculations with a rate of 3.5%(its currently a little lower than that), and taxes and insurance the payment is 1445.  You are off around 63 dollars.  In this scenario you would most likely not get approved for the Refi.  If you could find a way to do something with your student loans and decrease them by around 75 dollars a month to give yourself some wiggle room, You could obtain this.

Hope this helped

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.