Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't remove dispute on one account

tag
Erick12
Valued Member

Can't remove dispute on one account

I'm trying to get approved for a mortgage and I keep running into issues with disputes on my account. At this point, there is one particular account that is causing problems and while the CRA and OC both say it should be removed eventually, it hasn't actually been removed and is still holding me up. I'm wondering if there's a particular person at Barclays or Experian who has the power to get rid of this now, not just start a drawn out process that may at some point be completed. Has anyone had this situation, with some kind of special dispute notation that cannot be removed in the same way other dispute remarks get removed?

Longer version: Sometime around early November I called all the CRAs per the thread here about removing dispute remarks. All three said everything would be removed (had a lot of disputes built up over the years as I attempted to get various things fixed or removed). Loan company ran my credit a few weeks ago and some student loans and a Barclays CO still had disputes. They had me sign a letter which they then sent in to have all these removed (I guess like a rapid rescore). On 12/15 while discussing a settlement agreement, I faxed a letter to Barclays saying I was no longer disputing the charged off account as they suggested. Today the loan people called and said all the disputes were removed, except the Barclays one on Experian. Below is what the guy sent me:

XPN - PHONE VERIFIED.BARCLAYS XXXX PER PATTY 888-232-0780 COMMENT VERIFIED 11/2015

CONSUMER MUST CONTACT CREDITOR OR LETTER MUST COME FROM CREDITOR TO REMOVE THIS TYPE OF

DISPUTE COMMENT.

EFX - DISPUTE REMARK REMOVED

TUC - COMMENT DELETED.

Loan people said I should contact Barclays for a letter or to get them to update it. Called Barclays and they said they already removed the dispute on their end and they can't do anything about Experian not updating. I asked for a letter and they said they couldn't do anything though I could probably try going above the last guy's head or to another department. I then called Experian, first guy said he couldn't remove it, he transferred me to someone else. That guy first said he could delete it, confirmed that  I wanted to, then at the very end said he was basically sending a request to Barclays to update it, not deleting it himself, and it could take as long as 30 days to update. That was of course annoying, as I'm trying to get this preapproval quickly because the house I want it on the market, and I need to get an offer in.  And I don't understand why they can't simply remove the remark.

The account is an unpaid charged off credit card. I'm working on paying a settlement agreement, but their records were screwed up for years and I couldn't talk to them about the account until recently when I contacted the CFPB which got someone from their president's office to pull back the account from the CA (who also wouldn't work with me because their records were also screwed up) and just began settlement negotations and just last week finally got the letter documenting the agreement so I can get the payments in (expect to be done by early January, maybe even earlier). This mortgage thing kind of popped up out of nowhere but finally got me to really put some effort into paying this charge off since they generally have to be paid to get a mortgage.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.