Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging on exising accounts before closing

tag
violetsmom
Regular Contributor

Charging on exising accounts before closing

We need to buy a new refrigerator.  I found one that matches our other appliances for a smoking deal at best buy, and delivery available the day after closing (4/29).  My LO says I am okay to charge this on our existing best buy account, just do not open new accounts anywhere.  I am so scared to believe her though.  Would you???

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Charging on exising accounts before closing

When does the CCC report to the CRAs and is the LO doing another pull on closing?

Message 2 of 22
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

What will it do to your utilization? Could it lower your credit score? Will it impact your DTI?

I've seen it happen more than once that an LO gives incorrect infromation and then say oops.

Message 3 of 22
foofighter74
Established Contributor

I would not do it, personally.

Message 4 of 22
violetsmom
Regular Contributor

The statement for the account cuts May 8, more than a week after we close.

She said we are fully approved and the title company has our documentation, but that they do a random credit check (meaning they may not check at all):

Don’t open any new accounts.   On a conventional
loan we can pull credit again right before closing, what they are looking for is
new debt, we don’t re-check current balances. 

I know from reading this I should trust her and we will be okay but I have been SO careful for SOO long now (new build) that it gives me minor panic attacks even thinking about it.

Message 5 of 22
foofighter74
Established Contributor

You still have some uncertainty as to whether getting this refrigerator would potentially screw up the loan.  Not getting the refrigerator means there is no uncertainty.  Since I'm a fairly conservative person, I wouldn't do it.  But not everyone looks at the situation the same as I do. lol.

Message 6 of 22
violetsmom
Regular Contributor

Ahhh I am so torn.  I have the screen ready to go but just can't do it!  haha!  What sucks is that it says first delivery date is a week from now, so that means if I wait until after we close I have to go without a fridge for a week.  BOOO.  First world problems, I know Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 22
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Any way you can use a relatives card and pay them back or something? Personally I woultn'd risk it...Id rather go a week without a fridge then worry from now until May if it will somehow screw you up. 

Message 8 of 22
violetsmom
Regular Contributor

I could pay for it in cash, but we planned on using the cash we have for other things and taking advantage of the 0% interest. 

Message 9 of 22
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Not worth it.  If you can pay cash now and put other things on credit later, do it that way.  Otherwise, Memorial Day is around the corner, there will be more sales.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.