Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTI calculation

tag
hoang817
Regular Contributor

DTI calculation

Hello, Iam planning "not to pay" these 2 bad debts. I would like to know how do i calculate these 2 debts for DTI??? add them and divide by 12months?? Thank you

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

7/1 Free Scores| EX 640 TU 640 EQ 644
Mission Lane: 300 | Avant: 500 | Surge: 1k | Discover IT: 1.5k | CAP Savor: 6k | AMEX Platinum | Goals: 100k+
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
babbles
Established Contributor

Re: DTI calculation

Message 2 of 9
hoang817
Regular Contributor

thanks, but iam saying i will not pay these debts.. so i dont know how lenders will use them for dti???

Mission Lane: 300 | Avant: 500 | Surge: 1k | Discover IT: 1.5k | CAP Savor: 6k | AMEX Platinum | Goals: 100k+
Message 3 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

How much is the minimum required payment on each debt?

I missed the part where you said they are "bad" debts.  What do you mean by bad though?  Are they charge-offs?  Collection accounts?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Mortgage Loan Officer located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 9
rileydude
New Contributor

It depends on the loan program and their guidelines. I believe for a Conventional loan...

Collection accounts totaling more than $5,000 must be paid off in full before your mortgage closes.

FHA loan standard underwriting 

the total balance of your collection accounts is $2,000 or more, you are required to either pay off the account balance in full or establish a payment plan. Please note that for an FHA mortgage, medical account collections are excluded from your total account balance.

Manual Underwriting

If you have a collection account and your lender manually underwrites your application, the lender is required to provide documentation that explains the reason why your application should be approved. The lender is also required to review the circumstances that caused the account to go into collections.

You are required to provide a letter of explanation that addresses each collection account including why the issue occurred and the steps you took to resolve the issue. Depending on the documentation provided by your lender and you, and the circumstances that caused the issue, your application may be approved or rejected.

USDA Home Loan - Manual Underwriting. If your lender manually underwrites your loan, the lender is required to submit a letter that explains the collection account and why your application should be approved. You are also required to provide a letter of explanation for each collection account as well as any supporting documents that demonstrate how you addressed the issue.

VA loans have their own guidelines,  along with the lender tequirements..

Bottom line is, just deciding NOT to pay the debt probably won't be good enough for lenders, and if you are OVWR the $5k/2K threshold you won't qualify irregardless...but I am sure there are others on here who can chime in.

Sources

"B3-5, Collections, Charge-Offs of Non-Mortgage Accounts, Judgments, and Liens." Selling Guide: Fannie Mae Single Family. Fannie Mae, February 5 2020. Web.

"Chapter 4.7.b Collection Accounts." Lenders Handbook - VA Pamphlet 26-7. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, 2020. Web.

"II.A.4.b.iii.(A). Collection Accounts, Charge Off Accounts, Accounts with Late Payments in the Previous 24 Months, and Judgments (TOTAL)." FHA Single Family Housing Policy Handbook 4000.1. Federal Housing Administration, January 2 2020. Web.

"Chapter 10, Attachment 10-A, Collections." Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program Technical Handbook. U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2020. Web.

Message 5 of 9
hoang817
Regular Contributor

these are just bad debts and seating there for years...i have no contact from them what so ever (they couldnt find me) so i dont know how much per month i have to pay to them.

Message 6 of 9
hoang817
Regular Contributor

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

I missed the part where you said they are "bad" debts.  What do you mean by bad though?  Are they charge-offs?  Collection accounts?

yes they are charged off and seating there for years. experian and transunion dont even show them on their reports.

Message 7 of 9
rileydude
New Contributor

The collection agency/lender obviously is reporting it to Equifax..look at your credit report to see who it is and contact them, find out if you can settle/payment arrangements. You can of course continue to ignore the debt, but that may not be helpful to get approved for a mortgage. 

Message 8 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@hoang817 wrote:

@ShanetheMortgageMan wrote:

yes they are charged off and seating there for years. experian and transunion dont even show them on their reports.

If they are charge-offs, assuming you are buying a primary residence, then you shouldn't have to pay them off if you use conventional, FHA or USDA financing.  VA generally doesn't require charge-offs to be paid off either.  None of them will use a payment for the charged off accounts.  

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Mortgage Loan Officer located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.