Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need an agent?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I need an agent?

Hi guys. I'm building a home and dealing directly with the seller/builder. Am I to have a buyers agent? I'm a first time home buyer and all this is new to me. Help! 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Do I need an agent?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys. I'm building a home and dealing directly with the seller/builder. Am I to have a buyers agent? I'm a first time home buyer and all this is new to me. Help! 

It is probably too late to work with an agent now that you are already working with a builder.  The buyer's agent has to accompany you on the first visit to the model homes/builders office.

Have you signed a contract yet?  If not, make sure you get a copy for a real estate attorney to review the contract before you sign,  

If you had not decided on a builder yet, then get a buyer's agent to help you now so you can see other homes to compare (newly built inventory home and to be built homes and even homes that are resales in the same or similar neighborhoods.  Recognize that you generally pay a premium price to have a home built and that the same home by the same builder a year or two older (potentially in the same neighborhood) may be less expensive with even more features.  This is where an agent can help you.  

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is probably too late to work with an agent now that you are already working with a builder.  The buyer's agent has to accompany you on the first visit to the model homes/builders office.

Have you signed a contract yet?  If not, make sure you get a copy for a real estate attorney to review the contract before you sign,  

If you had not decided on a builder yet, then get a buyer's agent to help you now so you can see other homes to compare (newly built inventory home and to be built homes and even homes that are resales in the same or similar neighborhoods.  Recognize that you generally pay a premium price to have a home built and that the same home by the same builder a year or two older (potentially in the same neighborhood) may be less expensive with even more features.  This is where an agent can help you.  

I am building a modular on a piece I property the builders are buying on my behalf. I have picked out the house plan and signed a contractor agreement to submit for appraisal and further along the loan process. I think I may be too late. I am using their preferred lender and they are paying all the closing costs. I hope I've made the best decision. They seem like honest people. Read reviews and all seems on the up and up. 

Message 3 of 10
ashjt2011
Regular Contributor

Who is the builder?

I went with Mattamy Homes on mine and didnt use an agent. Worked directly with them and the process was awesome. I didn't have any bumps along the way and everything turned out great. Ultimately the builder wants to sell the houses so they are generally willing to everything right for you to make sure the deal is done.

I have heard stories about new construction and how buyers agents can help prevent any problems down the road by looking for certain things, but I am not to worried about that kind of stuff. I have a home warranty from Mattamy for the next couple of years so if something were to present itself- everything is taken care of by Mattamy. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ashjt2011 wrote:

Who is the builder?

I went with Mattamy Homes on mine and didnt use an agent. Worked directly with them and the process was awesome. I didn't have any bumps along the way and everything turned out great. Ultimately the builder wants to sell the houses so they are generally willing to everything right for you to make sure the deal is done.

I have heard stories about new construction and how buyers agents can help prevent any problems down the road by looking for certain things, but I am not to worried about that kind of stuff. I have a home warranty from Mattamy for the next couple of years so if something were to present itself- everything is taken care of by Mattamy. 

I am using CBX Modulars in Va. They seem to be pretty good and know their stuff. Everything is going smoothly thus far. No complaints whatsoever. I guess I'll stick it out with them. 

Message 5 of 10
ashjt2011
Regular Contributor

I haven't heard of that builder but I am happy to hear that everything is going well! Good luck with everything! Keep us posted on if there are any problems that arise or if you close smoothly Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ashjt2011 wrote:

I haven't heard of that builder but I am happy to hear that everything is going well! Good luck with everything! Keep us posted on if there are any problems that arise or if you close smoothly Smiley Happy

Thanks! Will do! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most builders have a contract that states unless you identify an agent at the first discussion of a purchase you agree to use their agent.  I have done two new construction homes and have never had a reason to have my own agent.  If your a seller you need an agent as a buyer the agent tends to get paid for very little in a case like this.  

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Most builders have a contract that states unless you identify an agent at the first discussion of a purchase you agree to use their agent.  I have done two new construction homes and have never had a reason to have my own agent.  If your a seller you need an agent as a buyer the agent tends to get paid for very little in a case like this.  

I was thinking the same thing. What would actually be their purpose?! The builder is purchasing the land on my behalf and getting it for less than listing price. So I may be better off without an agent. What you said does make a lot of sense. Thanks for the reply. I thought I was making a huge mistake.

Message 9 of 10
GirlMelanie89
Established Contributor

This is good info! Im looking at building a new home and I had no plans to use an agent. 

Bankruptcy discharged: May 2014 Starting Score: 571 Goal Score: 700
Current Score: 676 (EQ FICO) 674 (EX FICO) 662 (TU FICO)

Mortgage Loan Originator in Kentucky
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.