Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FICO Score not getting better

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO Score not getting better

Here is my dilema:

I have been trying to refinance for a year or so and keep running up against the road block of credit score.  When I bought my house in Aug 2009, my credit score was roughly 670.  I had just paid off a delinquent charge of ~$800 in Jan/Feb of 2009 (6 months prior to buying my house).  I had no credit card debt in Aug 2009, but I did have two car loans.  When I checked my credit, it told me I had about the same scores the mortgage brokers told me I had ~670.
Fast forward to now - Feb 2012.  I have no credit card debt, paid off both car loans, have the same credit cards that I did have back then, and have had 3 years of time between the delinquent charge and no additional issues.  My credit score has stayed the same, or possibly gone down a bit when the mortgage lenders pull the score, but I paid for a FICO score a couple months ago and it said that it was 720-750.  It is baffling to me that it would still be in the 650 range after 3 years of paying off that debt and having no other debt.
Any advice?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FICO Score not getting better

While being debt free is the best logically and fiscally, credit wise it's actually viewed as a negative.  FICO weighs your credit risk, if you're not using credit your risk can't be weighed. 

It also might help to know which score you pulled and from where.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.