Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage approval with W2 and 1099 income

tag
Homehuntermama
New Visitor

Mortgage approval with W2 and 1099 income

I have W2 FTE income which I can provide proof on returns over 2 years, but I also have 1099 income which I only have 1 year of financial statements so far. Is it still possible to find a lender that will accept both?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Mortgage approval with W2 and 1099 income

Income reported on form 1099 is usually self-employment, which you would then report on Schedule C of your tax return.  With self-employment typically 2 years of tax returns reporting that income required, but there are some programs or situations that will accept just 1 year - for example if you were working as a W-2'd employee for at least 2 years and then directly went to the same job being a 1099'd employee then underwriters can make an exception.  In your situation you are working a W-2 & 1099 job, so the additional job would be considered secondary employment which almost always needs a full 2 years to be able to use.  If your 1099 income is something else let us know as it could change info that is applicable to you.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 7
Homehuntermama
New Visitor

@ShanetheMortgageMan Your assessment is correct. I starting earning the secondary income with 1099 in 2021 and reported it on schedule c of my return. So with two years of tax returns, the 2020 return would show a much lower income than the 2021. So I couldn't use that increase in income as an advantage to increase my buying power until I've reported it over two years? In that case I wouldn't be in a position to purchase until next year.

Message 3 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Homehuntermama wrote:

@ShanetheMortgageMan Your assessment is correct. I starting earning the secondary income with 1099 in 2021 and reported it on schedule c of my return. So with two years of tax returns, the 2020 return would show a much lower income than the 2021. So I couldn't use that increase in income as an advantage to increase my buying power until I've reported it over two years? In that case I wouldn't be in a position to purchase until next year.

Correct, there'd be a very strong likelihood that the underwriter will want to see 2021 & 2022 tax returns Schedule C to use the 1099 income.  The income from it will be averaged out.  Here is a post I made awhile back showing you how to calculate how much qualifying income will be used from your Schedule C.

When using W-2 income tax returns are rarely needed, the income is rarely averaged and your current income will probably be used to qualify.  Situations where W-2 income is averaged is when overtime, commission or bonus income is being used... or if it's irregular hours or part time employment then averages are usually considered.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 4 of 7
Homehuntermama
New Visitor

@ShanetheMortgageMan That post was really helpful thank you!

Message 5 of 7
Househunter121
Established Member

I have 1099 that I didn't file for 2021, but would like to use it in my 2 year Dti, do i need to do an amended return to include it?

Message 6 of 7
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Househunter121 wrote:

I have 1099 that I didn't file for 2021, but would like to use it in my 2 year Dti, do i need to do an amended return to include it?

If you want to qualify for the best possible mortgage terms, then yes, it'd need to be reported on your tax returns under a Schedule C.  The net income (+ possibly adding some expenses back in) is what underwriters go off of.  Usually 2 years tax returns are needed, but some situations may only need 1 year.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.