Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mortgage score strategy help!

tag
tayloreat713
New Contributor

Re: Mortgage score strategy help!

@Cowboys4Life All my cards in in my sock drawer!! lol The smaller balance store cards are the first to go, and since they give me no points or benefit no need on using them anymore. I don't want the banks to close them (due to great payment history) but I don't see that happening in the next 6 months while I'm paying them off.

My goal is a new build townhome so I'll deal with any fixtures that I want to change later on.  I and my son have pretty new bed set and my living room furniture is fine for now. But that is a good tidbit you provided!! I don't want to get back into any cc trouble after I'm in the home, so living modestly for a while is a good point. 

Locally, I have 3 male cousins, a dad and son. Plenty of moving muscle to go around for moving week. 😂 I'm sure, I'll be moving the small stuff myself and shortly I'll be cleaning out the garage months in advance of moving to clear clutter. 

Message 11 of 16
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

"I'll be cleaning out the garage months in advance of moving to clear clutter. "

The best way to do that kind of clean up/out is to rent a dumpster.  NOTHING encourages you to throw stuff out more than having a dumpster with extra space.  The cost is usually pretty reasonable too.  Especially for getting rid of furniture you haven't wanted or needed in a while but not suitable for donation.

Message 12 of 16
tayloreat713
New Contributor

@Cowboys4Life Awesome idea! When you were in the process of paying down debt did you keep the MyFICO membership to check scores, and reports monthly? Right now my membership is quarterly reports and monthly scores.

Message 13 of 16
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

"When you were in the process of paying down debt did you keep the MyFICO membership to check scores, and reports monthly? Right now my membership is quarterly reports and monthly scores."

My situation was a bit backwards as I had not been planning to buy a house but it suddenly all fell into place and I have no regrets. I was reasonably certain I had at least a 650 mortgage score (I was right it was 660) but didn't know for sure when we apped for the approval.  So no, I was not using a MyFICO membership.  I could track everything through a free site like CK and save the money.  When you have no debt or collections there really isn't much to track.  If I am planning a major purchase like a car I will pay for a 3B report from MF so that I have a clear idea of where I stand. 

MyFICO won't like my suggestion but their memberships are pricey.  Right now if I were you I would devote all my spare money to paying down that revolving debt because the reality is if you manage your debt your scores reflect that.  Do the math:  if you are paying $30/month that is $90/quarter.  A one time 3B report is $60.  I would stop paying for a membership and devote the money to paying down the debt since the goal is a mortgage.  CK gives you enough information to monitor how you are improving even if the score is fake and not reliable.  When the FAKO gets near 650 you can spend $60 for a 3B report and see where those real mortgage scores are if you are itching for solid information.  Just my thoughts for what it is worth.

Message 14 of 16
tayloreat713
New Contributor

@Cowboys4Life Yea, that makes sense. I had my membership on hold for a while, and may go back that route now that I have my plan in place. I can restart it closer to my time to apply just to check my mortgage scores again. 

thanks!

Message 15 of 16
jjohnson
Established Member

@tayloreat713 wrote:

I'm preparing my scores for a mortgage in the quickest way possible. As of 1/15/24 my mortgage scores were:

EQ 537

TU 518

EX 593

A few factors tanking my scores are high utilization on my CC's, a C/O from 2018 that reports monthly to EX and EQ,  1 collection recently purchased by living funding that I settled and pay monthly. My question is should I first focus on reducing my CC utilization OR paying my CO and collection? I'd like to get my mortgage scores to 640 before applying. Any and all guidance would be helpful! 

I was at 591, 570, and 602 mortgage scores at the end of August last year.

I paid down my cards 50% of balances and paid off my 1 collection of 4 years. I also requested CLI's on all of my cards.  I received them and opened up 1 new card.

I had my loan officer repull and now I'm at 638, 634, and 613.  This was just in 4 months.

For me it was reducing the high utilization.

Best wishes on your journey!

Ch. 7 BK Discharged May 2017

In My Wallet:

Total Credit Limit $18.1K | Utilization 16.37%

FICO 8s 7.2023

FICO 8s 2.2024

Starting Score: 633
Current Score: 654
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.