Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay ahead on ARM

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay ahead on ARM

Have an ARM, currently at 3.125.  Readjusts each May and is tied to 1 year LIBOR.  I'm assuming rate will go up in May 2012.  If I make additional payments prior to that, what happens?  Will I be assessed the difference between what I paid and what the new payment would be?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay ahead on ARM

Check the documents from your closing and make sure there is no prepayment penilty.  It would be listed on the Good Faith Estimate or the Truth In lending.  Be carefuly with the one year arm.  The interest rates are to unpredictable these days.  Also on the Truth in lending it should have an adjustment cap.  Make sure of what your adjustment cap is and if you could make that payment should worst case scenario happen and your rate adjust up to that cap. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

The ARM was a 5/1 in 2004.  It has adjusted 3 times already.  There is no prepayment penalty.  The max is 9% and the  calculation is 2.25 + 1 year LIBOR.  So far that's been really good and I hope it continues (LIBOR was .74 the last time).  So if I prepay, there won't be additional charges?

Message 3 of 4
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Correct, no additional charges, they don't charge you the interest you would have paid.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.