Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing options for 0% Down Mortgage

tag
Flexfanatic
Valued Member

Refinancing options for 0% Down Mortgage

I think its expected that there will be another rate cut due to COVID-19 and I think its going to try refinancing my current mortgage loan I have though NASA FCU. I reached out to them today but I can't speak to a loan officer until the week day.

My current loan is a 0% down loan with a rate of 5.625% and no PMI. I could not get their current rates today but looking around I looks like I could save around $400 in monthly payments (savings does not include possible PMI I'll need to pay with new loan). Are they options out there for refinancing without up front fees (can closing be wrapped into the loan)? 

I'm trying to run the numbers before speaking with different local banks/credit unions to see if it makes sense (been using https://www.calculatestuff.com/financial/refinance-calculator?current_loan_balance=394271.56&current...)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

Re: Refinancing options for 0% Down Mortgage

Of course you have no external PMI @5.625% because it's most likely already built into that low rate. 

How much do you currently owe and how much is your home worth?

This will help you figure out whether a new loan requires PMI or not.

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 2 of 5
Flexfanatic
Valued Member

@NC_Mtg_Loaner wrote:

Of course you have no external PMI @5.625% because it's most likely already built into that low rate. 

How much do you currently owe and how much is your home worth?

This will help you figure out whether a new loan requires PMI or not.

I understand that the PMI is built into my current loan rate and based on what I owe and what my home is worth (not having an appraisal I'm using MLS sold homes and public records) I would have to pay PMI.

Message 3 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Flexfanatic wrote:

I think its expected that there will be another rate cut due to COVID-19 and I think its going to try refinancing my current mortgage loan I have though NASA FCU. I reached out to them today but I can't speak to a loan officer until the week day.

My current loan is a 0% down loan with a rate of 5.625% and no PMI. I could not get their current rates today but looking around I looks like I could save around $400 in monthly payments (savings does not include possible PMI I'll need to pay with new loan). Are they options out there for refinancing without up front fees (can closing be wrapped into the loan)? 

I'm trying to run the numbers before speaking with different local banks/credit unions to see if it makes sense (been using https://www.calculatestuff.com/financial/refinance-calculator?current_loan_balance=394271.56&current...)

I checked with NFCU last week and with  excellent credit, they were offering refinancing at 3.25% on 3/5 ARM with 0 points, 0 origination fee, no PMI. And if you wanted a lower interest rate, points and origination fee increased. And yes, any closing cost can be included in the mortgage as long as LTV was 95%. The reason I'm looking at a 3/5 ARM is because my goal is to not to live there longer than 3 years. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 5
Flexfanatic
Valued Member

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Flexfanatic wrote:

I checked with NFCU last week and with  excellent credit, they were offering refinancing at 3.25% on 3/5 ARM with 0 points, 0 origination fee, no PMI. And if you wanted a lower interest rate, points and origination fee increased. And yes, any closing cost can be included in the mortgage as long as LTV was 95%. The reason I'm looking at a 3/5 ARM is because my goal is to not to live there longer than 3 years. 

Thanks, just the type of information I was looking for. My scores are in the 800's and my wife is currently a NFCU member so I'll look at them as well and see if it makes sense to become a member. The 3/5 ARM is tempting but for me plans can change on how long I'll be in the home (I hate moving Smiley Wink )

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.