Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talked to bank, here's what they say

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Talked to bank, here's what they say

So this is what my local cu has to say about a mortgage with my 699 midscore.  I am in WI.

10/1 ARM (yes, ARMS are scary but they are not all evil.  I will likely live in this house for only 4-6 years): 5.875% fixed for the first 10 years

30 year fixed rate: 6.25

She said if my mid-score goes to 720+, the 30 year fixed will be 6.125. 

Good? Bad? Ugly?

I've got an appt with a broker this week also to see the other options.  Needless to say, I'm overwhelmed and confused. 
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Talked to bank, here's what they say

Be wary of arms.  You never know what the market is going to be like in 2 weeks, let alone several years.  Less than 1/2 point spread between ARM and fixed, not much incentive to go with the arm.  6.25 sounds about right.  Don't forget.  You'll most likely be itemizing for tax purposes. home mortgage interest (on a primary residence) is tax deductible.  Depending on what tax bracket you're in and how much you need to finance the difference between the 5.8% ARM and 6.25% fixed might very well be immaterial.  To me, the potential risk isn't commensurate with the limited return, but that's just one man's opinion.

I wouldn't look at ARMs unless there was close to one point difference, and even then I would have to think hard about it.  It's a roll of the dice.

Message Edited by maddog on 05-06-2008 03:29 PM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Given that you'll be out before 10yrs I would say the ARM is a very wise decision.  Break the interest numbers out and payment $ saved over the next 7-10yrs and you'll be glad you did.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your input.  I have been very overwhelmed by the process and have decided its not for the faint of heart!  Hopefully it will all be over soon! (as in I'll be closing on a house). 
Message 4 of 6
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

The only problems with the ARM loan is that it should be used to save a little money.... and not be a way to afford more house.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

DallasLoanGuy wrote:
The only problems with the ARM loan is that it should be used to save a little money.... and not be a way to afford more house.

AGREED. 
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.