Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VA Loan Self Employed Schedule C

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

VA Loan Self Employed Schedule C

I will be doing my 2014 taxes and had questions. For a VA loan,  are there any deductions on schedule C that are added back to net income for VA loan qualifying?  In particular, what about mileage, depretiation, and home office deductions? I can't find anything anywhere on the internet about this. Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: VA Loan Self Employed Schedule C

Hi Cmwnow,

Yes we can add back depreciation and 23 or 24 cents per mile on a VA mortgage.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for response. What about business use of home?
Message 3 of 7
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

You're welcome. No you cannot add back business use of the home.

CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I'm back with another question on this.  I went to a lender for a VA loan after doing taxes.  I have a Schedule  C for Self-Employed.  I had to file Form 4652 (Depreciation Form) because I took a Section 179 deduction for some other property.  

Pursuant to Section IV of the Schedule C (where the business mileage deduction is usually calculated) it states (and in the instructions) if Form 4652 is filed for any reason, the miles must be calculated and listed there on Form 4652, then flow back into Line 9 car and truck expense standard milieage rate.  So, the business miles are listed on Part V of the Form 4562, which then flows back to the Schedule C, Line 9 car and truck expenses at the .56 per mile rate.  

Now this lender says that the depreciation amount of the miles for 2014 (.22 cents) can't be added back because the miles weren't calculated on IV of  the  Form C, but  on the Form 4652.  Now they say I can't pre-approve for the loan pursuant to Fannie Mae guidelines.  The underwriter apparently called FNMA and was also told no add back for the miles depreciation unless miles are listed on Schedule C, Part IV.  So now I don't meet the income levels for the loan.  

I looked elsewhere online and it appears other lenders do although the add back for business miles depreciation, even  if  listed on Form 4652.  

Help!  I have a house I'm waiting to put an offer in on and this is the only issue apparently holding  up the pre-approval. 

Message 6 of 7
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

You need to work with a different lender ( like me) that will add it back.

CAIVRS Expert.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.