cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Score is Needed for Conventional Financing?

tag
katiemacsmom

What Score is Needed for Conventional Financing?

Below is my profile.  My question is what do I need to get my score up to in order to qualify for a conventional mortgage. I don’t want to do FHA because of the loan limits in my county. I’m assuming I wouldn’t qualify for conventional financing with the scores I have now. MyFICO score simulator says that the most I could get my score up to over the next 12 month is 643.  If I do that, would I qualify for conventional or do I need to be above 660 or 700?  I’d like to apply next year, but if I have to be above 660 or over 700, then I will plan to wait longer (even though I don't want to!).  I’ve been reading about GW letters and PFD. So, I’m going to go that route and see what comes of it. I just would like a general idea of where I need to get my scores; so, I can know what to work towards.

• Credit. – EX, 603, EQ 604, TU 604, per myFICO. My ex quit his job for no reason and the baddies are from that.  We lived off savings as long as possible and eventually everything devolved and we went 60-120 days past for cc and auto loans and then then settled the cc and paid off the autos.  I have one outstanding collection account and that’s with Midland for $7,200.  I’m going to try PFD for this. Divorce was final in July ’13 but we separated as early as '10  No bankruptcies or foreclosures.  Also, I have one small cc with a limit of $750 that I was mindlessly maxing out and paying off every month. I stupidly didn't realize this would hurt me, but I’ve since paid down to $30 and am leaving it there.  It’s this action (paying down the card) that my fico simulator says will only get my score up to 643. 

• Income. Gross $131,000 a year paid regularly each month from full-time employment.  $10,200 in child support paid in $850 each month.  So, a total annual gross income of $141,200.

• Source of income. Employed full time. I’ve worked at the same company for the last 4 years and the same industry for the last 12 years. Also, the $10,200 is child support.

• Monthly debt payments. I have a 8,000 left on my car loan and I pay $450 a month on that.  No other debt. 

• Employment (for those who are employed). Full time, 12 years in the same industry. Promoted twice in the last 4 years within the same company.

• Assets/Reserves. I will have about 30,000 saved.  This would be $17,500 for  5% down and $12,250 for closing costs (I’m guess 3.5% for closing costs is that way to low?)  I have $7,000 in 401K but my main retirement is a defined benefit plan that I can’t use for assets.  So, aside from what I will have saved for down and closing, I won’t have a lot in reserves.  Do I need more?

• Location. Austin (Round Rock or Cedar Park) TX.

• Property. Single family home. I want to build with a community builder such as Highland Homes, but I’m also open to resale.

• Value. Hoping to acquire ir build something up to $350,000

• Occupancy. Primary residence.

• Transaction Type. Purchase, first time homebuyer.  I'm divorced. 

Any guidance is greatly appreciated! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
3Pelicans
Valued Member

Re: What Score is Needed for Conventional Financing?

I was able to get approved at a mid score of 670 but not at the best rate, if I could have waited a year and gotten my score above 700 then I would have gotten a better rate.  I don't think you can get approved for conventional for much less than that.  I know FHA is much more forgiving so you may have better luck there.  The only reason I went Conventional is that I had the 20% to put down so I am avoiding PMI even though my rate is higher. Good luck. 

Message 2 of 13
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

620 Fico with 20 percent down

660 Fico with 5 percent down and low DTI

680 Fico with 5 percent down and high DTI.

Message 3 of 13
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Conventional only comes out ahead in the long run if you have a 720+ mid score.

Honestly, FHA isn't bad but if the LTV is more then 80% then you're paying PMI for the life of the loan unless the 2 conditions are met:

1. The LTV drops below 80% through payments (most people forget to go back and ask to have it removed. They have to remove it.

2. Your house is apprasied and the value goes up making the LTV below 80%.

In either case...PMI adds roughly $200+ dollars per month to the loan.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

madmann26, the MI for FHA has changed as of last year. It won't drop off even if the LTV is less than 78%. The borrower has to refi to get rid of it. There are a few exceptions for the life of the loan MI for FHA with higher down payment and shorter loan term (15 yrs instead of 30).

With conventional it will drop off at less than 80% and is required to at 78%.  The $200 figure depends upon the amount financed and the credit score of the borrower. Lower the score, the higher the MI. There are other options though - single payment for MI at closing, or split the cost - part up front and part monthly.

It definitely pays to have a score higher than 720 on a conventional loan as far as having a  much lower MI cost though.

Message 5 of 13
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

I'm going through the house-building process right now.  My BEST advice, take the time and SAVE!!!  The more $$ you put down, the better your MI costs will be monthly!!

I am a current home owner and am in the process of building a second home that will be my primary residence.  The house I am in now, I just refinanced (standard FHA with 3.5% down in equity).  My credit scores were at a 640 mid-point, but I got approved with a 620 FICO mid-point.  MI costs are $342/month on a $324,000 loan!!  No reserves needed for this loan.   $2008 P&I +MI total (tax & insurance separate, but leaving out for comparison sake)

The loan I was just approved of is standard conventional.  Mid-point FICO at 650, however... I have 10% down this time!  $465,000 house, $48,000 down, $208/month in MI.  I'm looking at a $2383 P&I +MI.  

When you break it down that way, I'll be paying $134 MORE in MI for a house worth $141,000 LESS!!

Now... conventional mortgages WILL make you have reserves.  Normally two months P&I + taxes & insurance, and any association dues.  Some lenders will require you to have up to six months!  So shop around!!!!!  Because I'm buying a second home (not selling the first one) I needed to have reserves totaling six months payments on the OLD house PLUS two months reserves for the new house!!    And these need to be in your account and seasoned prior to closing. 

My best advice.... take the time, and get your credit score up... even to 640 will help drastically.  Then you'll at least have some options.  At 620 you're pretty much stuck with FHA or sub-prime lenders which you'll want to stay away from anyways!!  While you're working to get your score up SAVE!!!  And save like crazy!!

Good luck!!

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 6 of 13
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

btw - if you're a first time home buyer, they have programs to assist with things like down payment, etc.  You shouse check it out.   I'm not sure what the qualifications are, or if there are income limits (you may make too much??), but it's definitely worth looking into.

My advice, find a local mortgage broker that you trust.  They can help guide you through the whole process and let you know EXACTLY what you need!!!!

Just be straight up with them, tell them your situation, and let them help you!!!!   That's what I did... and I started with credit scores just slightly lower than yours just six months ago! Smiley Happy  So it can be done!

Good luck & happy house building!!!

Message 7 of 13
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

• Assets/Reserves. I will have about 30,000 saved.  This would be $17,500 for  5% down and $12,250 for closing costs (I’m guess 3.5% for closing costs is that way to low?)  I have $7,000 in 401K but my main retirement is a defined benefit plan that I can’t use for assets.  So, aside from what I will have saved for down and closing, I won’t have a lot in reserves.  Do I need more?

One last thing... sorry, it's sunday and my mind is a little scattered Smiley Happy

If you're looking to buy/build in the $350,000 range.... you have two other options that aren't as commonly talked about.

1.  Builder/seller paid closing costs - you DO have the option of asking the seller or builder to pay closing costs, and increase the cost of the home.  Say from $350,000 to $362,500.   That way you can build it into the loan.  It would require you to have a little higher down payment, but that would be a possibility if you're not paying for them out of pocket!!

2.  Buy up your interest rate -  a broker can assist you with this, but this is what I did for my first house because I didn't have the equity in the house, nor the cash.  You DO have options to buy up your interest rate to cover part/all of closing costs.  Example:  say your interest rate is 4%... you can buy out "cash" to cover closing costs, but it increases your interest rate to 4.5%.   Not a great option, but it IS an option!!!   I did this... my interest rate was originally 4.25% and I bought up my interest rate to 4.54% and that "buy up" covered ALL of my closing costs!!  For the pennies / month it cost me it was well worth it.

One of my BFFs is a mortgage broker here in MN.... and over the last six months I've learned more about how to "make things work" than you can imagine!  Where there's a will, there's ALWAYS a way!!!!

By utilizing either of these options it would leave you just shy of $30,000 as a down payment.  Your $7000 in 401k will equate to about $4200 in reserves (they take these at 60% value after cash-out), but it  might be enough to cover your reserves.  So, if you could save another $5,000 in down payment you may be all set!!

$350,000 cost

$35,000 down payment (your're short $5000 now)

$4200 reserves (401k)

buy up your interest rate.... to cover closing, and you're all set ....once you're at a 640, that it Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Message 8 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Caution:  Be very careful of buying up the interest rate.

It is a long term commitment to a short term problem.

Better to have seller/builder contribution to buyers closing cost than add many, many thousands of dollars in interest over the term of the loan by increasing the interest rate. Check the figures both way so you know the ultimate cost in hard dollars. Just my two cents.

Message 9 of 13
Steeler

Do you mind me asking what lender you financed with?  I'm looking at similar options for around a $325k loan.  Thanks.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.