Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I Qualify?

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Would I Qualify?

You can use the IRA or best case; take a loan from the Ira so that you don't pay penalty. If your Ira allows it you can take a loan that doesn't count against your DTI; since its a secured loan.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 15
MyCreditSucksTheMost
Contributor

@luvmeirahbug wrote:
Thanks for the info, although I'm sure about the time. 2 years after discharge applies to Ch. 7 filers. Ch.13 filers only need 12 months of on-time trustee payments or discharge. The only reason I've waited this long is because I didn't want to jump through the hoops I had to deal with to buy a car while I was making Trustee payments. I am finished my plan so I'm not worried about that part, just whether my financials would qualify when counting down payment plus reserves. Not sure whether I'd be required to use a portion of my IRA with DPA. I don't know my middle score because I only have MY EQ FICO score. I'm going for it so wish me luck. l will update later.

Actually, chapter 7 typically requires 4 years.   Most lenders will count 80-90% of your total IRA account as usable towards the down payment to account for any institutional fees when withdrawing funds early.

Staring Scores:Transunion-636 Equifax-618 Experian- 640 (8/12):
Current Scores:Transunion-717 Equifax-(?) Experian 726(as of 11/18/13):

Goal 760 Across the Board:

Message 12 of 15
nineironkitty
Established Member

I'm also currently in CH13, halfway through.  Every mortgage company I've talked to says I have to be halfway through and NOT discharged or they will treat it as a CH7 and make me wait an additional 2 years before getting mortgage approval.  I'm trying to get my scores up to 640 as that is the minimum any underwriter will do for an FHA mortgage.  Downpayment doesn't matter I need my score above 640.  Currently at 636, 583, and 629.  I just opened a secured credit card with a $500, hoping that will help kick my credit score up in a couple of months.

EQ - 656
EX - 671
TU - 629
Message 13 of 15
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

@MyCreditSucksTheMost wrote:

@luvmeirahbug wrote:
Thanks for the info, although I'm sure about the time. 2 years after discharge applies to Ch. 7 filers. Ch.13 filers only need 12 months of on-time trustee payments or discharge. The only reason I've waited this long is because I didn't want to jump through the hoops I had to deal with to buy a car while I was making Trustee payments. I am finished my plan so I'm not worried about that part, just whether my financials would qualify when counting down payment plus reserves. Not sure whether I'd be required to use a portion of my IRA with DPA. I don't know my middle score because I only have MY EQ FICO score. I'm going for it so wish me luck. l will update later.

Actually, chapter 7 typically requires 4 years.   Most lenders will count 80-90% of your total IRA account as usable towards the down payment to account for any institutional fees when withdrawing funds early.

4 years for conventional loans..2 years for FHA loans.

NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 14 of 15
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

@nineironkitty wrote:

I'm also currently in CH13, halfway through.  Every mortgage company I've talked to says I have to be halfway through and NOT discharged or they will treat it as a CH7 and make me wait an additional 2 years before getting mortgage approval.  I'm trying to get my scores up to 640 as that is the minimum any underwriter will do for an FHA mortgage.  Downpayment doesn't matter I need my score above 640.  Currently at 636, 583, and 629.  I just opened a secured credit card with a $500, hoping that will help kick my credit score up in a couple of months.

That's interesting..never heard of the halfway through thing before.  Are you referring to a FHA or conventional loan?  There's a link on one of these threads for the time requirements for FHA loans after BK.  I know conventional loans require 4 years period.  I'll have to find that link and post it here.  The secured card should really do wonders as long as u treat it like an unsecured card (low util, pif, etc).  It's worked wonders for me so far.

http://www.fha.com/credit_issues.cfm 

NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.