Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would we qualify?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would we qualify?

Hello all, I'm just starting to research about mortgages in Texas and if my husband and I would be able to prequalify or run into some issues. Can anyone tell me if they see a possible problem? Here's the scenario:

Him:

• No collections in credit reports
  • 1 eviction 7 years ago (paid and satisfied)
  • 2 Late payments on a credit card 5 years ago
  • Fico between 680-696
  • DTI lower than 15%

Me:

• No collections in credit report
  • 2 public records for credit card judgements, both showing as "Disposed"
  • 1 of those public records showing garnishment judgement but I left that job before wages were garnished
  • Fico around 680
  • No income (2 credit card payments are made with husbands income)

I'm wondering if those judgements on my public record would interfere with approval if he applied by himself. I didn't know that a creditor was trying to garnish me until I looked myself up out of curiousity. I never received any letters as we recently moved to Texas. I've heard that in Texas they look at both spouses when considering for a mortgage loan even if a spouse wants to apply by themselves.

Any advice would be helpful as we're looking to actually apply in a few months and want to have an idea of what to expect.

1 REPLY 1
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: Would we qualify?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all, I'm just starting to research about mortgages in Texas and if my husband and I would be able to prequalify or run into some issues. Can anyone tell me if they see a possible problem? Here's the scenario:

Him:

• No collections in credit reports
  • 1 eviction 7 years ago (paid and satisfied)
  • 2 Late payments on a credit card 5 years ago
  • Fico between 680-696
  • DTI lower than 15%

Me:

• No collections in credit report
  • 2 public records for credit card judgements, both showing as "Disposed"
  • 1 of those public records showing garnishment judgement but I left that job before wages were garnished
  • Fico around 680
  • No income (2 credit card payments are made with husbands income)

I'm wondering if those judgements on my public record would interfere with approval if he applied by himself. I didn't know that a creditor was trying to garnish me until I looked myself up out of curiousity. I never received any letters as we recently moved to Texas. I've heard that in Texas they look at both spouses when considering for a mortgage loan even if a spouse wants to apply by themselves.

Any advice would be helpful as we're looking to actually apply in a few months and want to have an idea of what to expect.

Your husband can apply for a conventional loan by himself and, as long as he qualifies, you should be fine.

Chances are, title will only look for judgements in your current county. 

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.