Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-C Form for Cancelled Debts Question

tag
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

1099-C Form for Cancelled Debts Question

Hello all!

I am wondering if anyone on here has experience with 1099-C forms. I have settled a few debts this year and I am expecting some 1099-Cs to come in next year. From everything I have read online, it seems like you don't actually have to pay taxes if you still have more debt than you have assets. I have student loans and a recent car loan, which substantially outweighs my assets. How does this work if you file jointly? My husband has a retirement account worth about $75k. Would this affect cancelled debt forms sent to me if we file jointly? What was your experience with these when you have filed your taxes? Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: 1099-C Form for Cancelled Debts Question

How much debt was settled on? What amounts are we talking about?

I think you are referring to the "insolvency" rule, which is not as cut and dry as you may think.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 15
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Thanks for responding! These are the debts I have settled:

1. Chase $9,500, settled for $1,250 with a collection agency (not a debt buyer). $8,250 forgiven.

2. Citi $4,841, settled for $2,033 with a collection agency (not a debt buyer). $2,808 forgiven.

3. USAA $5,514, settled for $2,481 with a collection agency (not a debt buyer). $3,033 forgiven.

In total, that’s about $14,091 forgiven. My student loans are about $38k and I don’t have any savings or other assets right now. I am settling debts instead of going through a chapter 13. I may end up settling 1 more debt this year. My annual income is $110k. I haven’t been able to get any concrete info on the insolvency rule, so any info you can provide would be very helpful.
Message 3 of 15
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

If you go the the IRS website there is information regarding that, you might also want to talk with a tax person.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 15
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

I searched again and came across and IRS form on this issue. I’m going to sit down and do the insolvency worksheet (I’m linking the PDF below). It appears I shouldn’t have to pay anything based on the math. I want to share this in case anyone else needs help!

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4681.pdf
Message 5 of 15
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I am not 100% sure, but I think you may have to file married but file separately ?
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 15
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Hard to argue insolvent making over 100k.

How much does your spouse make?

What was your effective tax rate last year?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the 110k a year a typo?
Message 8 of 15
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

No, $110k a year is not a typo. Nor does it preclude one from being financially insolvent (which means more debt than assets, according to the IRS). You could be insolvent if you owe more on your house than it’s worth or if you are underwater in a car loan without other assets outweighing it. Or in my situation, where I have credit card debt, student loans, and a lack of savings. My husband also has student loans and other debt as well. I think it would be interesting for other MF members to go through this worksheet and see where they are with their finances.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don’t think anyone said that making 110k (not including your spouse?) precludes you from being insolvent. Most MF’ers would do whatever they could to pay off the 14k. They would want to be able to have a relationship with Citi and Chase again. (USAA will probably let you back in at some point.) Someone correct me if I’m wrong, I’ve never refinanced student loans but your overall credit profile would most likely hurt you from getting a better student loan interest rate, which may make the 14k seem like a small amount in the long run.

Anyways, no, you probably don’t have to pay the 3k in taxes.

(I’m not a cpa but I play one on tv.)
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.