cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone join America First Credit Union out of state? I guess i'm a guinea pig pretty much!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Anyone join America First Credit Union out of state? I guess i'm a guinea pig pretty much!

For such a large credit union (One of the top 10 in the USA) there is just about no info here at the myfico forums or other websites. This Credit union has a federal charter and has branches in numerous states so hopefully they're not too hostile against out of state members, unlike other credit unions.

Looking at there select employee groups here

https://www.americafirst.com/about/membership/select-employer-group/seg-employee.html

It looks like the Utah PTA, Arizona PTA, and a handful of other PTAs make you eligible (And the PTAs cost only $10 to join, although I didn't check all the PTA websites out) As far as I can tell, anyone can join those PTA's, even if you're out of state (There wasn't anything on the website that said otherwise) There are a few Air Force Associations too, but those looked like they were $50 to join. There may be more associations/companies you can join too, but I haven't found any others yet.

I joined the Arizona PTA here out of state (I live in Minnesota)

http://www.azpta.org/supporting-members

Just from googling around, I found this saying any living person can join a PTA and that they do not discriminate based on geographic location (This is from Washington State PTA but should apply to all PTAs.) Please note Washington PTA isn't an eligible PTA for America First CU https://www.wastatepta.org/can-pta-member/

At the end of the credit union membership application it asked for how I was eligible since my home address and work address in Minnesota aren't within their field of membership it told me (Obviously) I typed in Arizona PTA and it did show up. It said i'll be hearing from them shortly after submitting my application, so I shall see what happens. I'll keep everyone updated too if I end up noticing a hard pull from joining/attempting to join. Also the application did not ask how I want to fund the accounts (Saving minimum opening balance is $1 and checking is $0) So I have no idea if funding with a credit card is possible or not.

I'm also guessing due to how the website is designed and how they don't have a nice list of Select employee groups/associations (You need to type stuff in to see if it pops up) A lot of people may not even realize this credit union is (potentially) join-able by everyone.

Too many new cards and am too lazy to update my signature
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone join America First Credit Union out of state? I guess i'm a guinea pig pretty much!

Good luck on your membership application. Hope you are approved without any problems. Thank you for providing the data points!

Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone join America First Credit Union out of state? I guess i'm a guinea pig pretty much!

Good luck! Everything about this CU screams geofenced but with these stats, I'm not so sure

Total Membership

Total Assets

$11.713 Billion

Rankings

9th largest credit union in assets in the United States
6th largest credit union in membership in the country

Number of Branches

131 Full-service branches

Moving away from big banks and building my credit union relationships
Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I've been researching and teaching myself a lot the past few weeks regarding state vs federal charters for Credit unions. America First has a federal charter, they actually switched from a state charter from back around 2003-ish from what I found from Googling, since the state charter was a lot more restrictive in terms of where they could and couldn't open & operate branches and where they could and couldn't grant business loans.

I've noticed just from this forum that credit unions with state charters, like BECU, seem to be a lot more restrictive, or give a really hard time to out of state members. Whereas those with federal charters, like Navy FCU, PenFed, DCU, etc. don't seem to care where you live and take members from anywhere.

I guess we'll see if that makes a difference or not as to if this credit union gives me a hard time for joining out of state, or not.

Unrelated, but I found out yesterday a different credit union that i'm also a member of, Service Credit Union, is looking to switch from a state to federal charter, and that really piqued my interest in the subject as well.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Personal-Finance/Service-Credit-Union-membership/td-p/5901669/page/...

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

/peeks in

Any SUBs available?

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I did get a hard pull on Experian, so I can comfirm that. I didn't hear back but reached out and emailed them asking if they needed any documentation or anything and all they said was they'll reach out to me when they process the application if they need anything else. They did respond to the email within 20 minutes which was quite fast.

But at this point it remains a waiting game.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.