cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to Retain Savings or Pay Off Half of Debt and Rebuild?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Better to Retain Savings or Pay Off Half of Debt and Rebuild?

I'm just not sure which is the most prudent course of action. I have $17k in consolidated credit card debt that I've been working diligently to pay off for the past three years (I started with $30k). I'm now roughly two years from completely paying this debt off. 

I have a small amount ($10k) of savings in a high-yield savings account. I could use that sum to pay off a little over half of the consolidation loan, thereby cutting the repayment time in half. And, once I'm done with the repayment, I'd have a lot more cash from my paycheck to contribute to rebuilding that savings. 

Of course, I could also incur an emergency, get hit with a serious illness, lose my job (I hope the likelihood of any of these is low, but who knows). Is it better to retain this small amount of savings and continue paying down the remainder of the debt slowly or to pay it off more quickly and rebuild the savings? 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Better to Retain Savings or Pay Off Half of Debt and Rebuild?

I would not deplete your savings just to pay down the loan.

That said, you can always accelerate the repayment by contributing more to the loan per month and slowing down your rate of savings contributions a bit.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes sense. Thanks for your response.

Message 3 of 16
Penjamin_Fedington
Valued Member

Are you paying any interest on the credit card debt?  If so it may be better to deplete your savings account to save money in the long run.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Penjamin_Fedington wrote:

Are you paying any interest on the credit card debt?  If so it may be better to deplete your savings account to save money in the long run.

The lack of an emergency fund in savings is what gets many into debt to begin with. Unless there is a compelling reason, outside of interest savings, I would not advocate depleting an entire savings to save a few bucks. If interest savings is a consideration, my suggestion of accelerating the payoff via bigger monthly payments will also allow for that realization. 

Message 5 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Edit: wait a second, what APR is your consolidated debt at?

Original post assuming CC debt, but that may be a LC loan at 6% anyway:

Well, frankly given that virtually any bill can be paid with a credit card these days, you could just run the cards up again if disaster struck.  Literally the only bill I don't pay with my credit cards is my mortgage currently, and I'm pretty sure I could Plastiq that for what amounts to $10 per month financing fee.

Other assets weren't disclosed which do factor into this (house, auto, 401k whatever) but I see virtually no point to savings when non-trivial debt is hanging out on a typical CC APR.

2 years to pay off = non-trivial.

Even if you paid the 10k to the cards, then min payed them for literally months to rebuild some savings, you'd still come out way ahead; currently interest is likely costing about 2500 a year if not worse (I assumed ~15% APR spread), and that's just bleeding cash.

        
Message 6 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm just not sure which is the most prudent course of action. I have $17k in consolidated credit card debt that I've been working diligently to pay off for the past three years (I started with $30k). I'm now roughly two years from completely paying this debt off. 

I have a small amount ($10k) of savings in a high-yield savings account. I could use that sum to pay off a little over half of the consolidation loan, thereby cutting the repayment time in half. And, once I'm done with the repayment, I'd have a lot more cash from my paycheck to contribute to rebuilding that savings. 

Of course, I could also incur an emergency, get hit with a serious illness, lose my job (I hope the likelihood of any of these is low, but who knows). Is it better to retain this small amount of savings and continue paying down the remainder of the debt slowly or to pay it off more quickly and rebuild the savings? 

IMHO it's better to put the money towards the loan and reduce the interest you're going to wind up paying. What you save from doing that is a lot more than what you earn on your savings.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 16
Green456
Established Contributor

I was in similar situation. $20,000 CC debt. I got a personal loan from Wells Fargo at 9% APR. I cut up my credit cards, created a budget and lived off of debit card for 3 months. Then slowly started using them for reoccurring payments only. The biggest issue I find is that people balance transfer or consolidate their debt and go back to filling up credit cards with more debt. Or they use credit cards for emergencies and fill them up again. Whether you pay off the loan now or in 2 years does not make much difference. I would definitely keep that $10,000 cash for emergencies and promise myself to never go into credit card debt again.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I personally am a big fan of cash. DW and myself tend to keep between $10K and $20K  in cash at all times.  Our cash on hand  is roughly all our personal and biz expenses for 6 months. We own a small real estate brokerage 20 agents and interests in several house flipping  ventures. 

Our only fixed debt is a car note which we are 6 payments ahead on. 

Message 9 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Somewhat different situation if you have no debt >6% or whatever your nominal investment line is.

Personally as of this morning I have $64.64 in a checking account, 0 savings accounts other than 1k sitting in DCU at 5%, and maybe $250 cash sitting at home and a yuppie food stamp in my bag.

On the flip side I know I have 4K coming at the end of the week unless there is a complete meltdown in the financial infrastructure.

If something goes sideways I can get a check from my HELOC cleared in two days, tax loss harvest some underperforming equities, settle and transfer in 3, or if really really desperate, pay the wire transfer fee out of DCU and have access to that HELOC monies in about 30 minutes.

That’s if I need cash, which, I can’t really fathom where I would.

I’m really struggling to understand what type of emergency can’t be financed on a credit card TBH.

        
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.