cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate dialy compounded CD check my math?

tag
kremonis
Frequent Contributor

Calculate dialy compounded CD check my math?

I stumbled upon an unique to me CD:

3-12 months

.19% APY

Interest compounded daily

required monthly deposit into CD

For example

principal : $1000

term: 3 months

required monthly deposit: $50

(I used this calculator https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/finance/calculators/daily-compound-interest.php)

I got a total earnings $204.38

For 12 months I got $1,262.25 total earnings.

Is math correct?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Calculate dialy compounded CD check my math?

@kremonis wrote:

3-12 months

.19% APY

For example

(I used this calculator https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/finance/calculators/daily-compound-interest.php)

Is math correct?

Why is a 0.19% APY unique??  In all honesty, it sounds terrible.  I have CDs in the 4% and 5%s.  Even just HYSAs are in the 5%s currently.  I bought my 4.X% CDs before rates were in the 5%s and I am kicking myself now that my money is tied up.  What do you mean by monthly deposit?  Is it an Add-On  CD?  Those exist but are not typical.  

And, no, $1000 at 0.19% (even with $50 monthly add-ons) is not going to give you over $200 (assuming you are talking a 12 month term? - or are you saying 3 months????).  That would be a 20%+ return!  (80% return if you are talking 3 months)  Really, you'd be looking at less than $30 for the year.  

My advice?  Take your $1000 and buy a high 4% or low 5% CD, or just plunk it in a 5%+ HYSA.  You'll have $50 at the end of the year.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 9
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

I agree with @ptatohed . That calculator is a little wack. When you select daily compounding, it calculates actual daily interest. To get the correct answer from it, you first have to divide the apy by 365 to get daily interest. If you try it with 0.19%/365=0.00052% you'll get the correct answer. $1000 @0.19% for a year is $1.90 interest. With such a low interest rate, daily compounding doesn't even add one cent to the result vs. simple yearly interest without compounding.

Message 3 of 9
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Actually, the frequency of compounding - daily, monthly, yearly or none at all is irrelevant when you are provided the APY (Annual Percentage Yield).  The APY is the APR (Annual Percentage Rate) with the compounding already calculated in.  This is why you'll see "APR = 5.023%, APY = 5.15%".

In this example, if you put $1000 at APR 5.023% into a HYSA but had the daily or monthly interest paid to you instead of reinvested, you'd have earned exactly $50.23 at the end of the year (APR x initial deposit).  But, instead, if you reinvested that interest earned at the APR, you'll now earn interest on that earned interest (at the APR).  These little increases in interest earned along the way, over the year, will result in $51.50 earnings at the end of the year.  This works out to be an 'effective APR' (or APY) of 5.15%.  Smiley Happy  (this example uses daily compounding)

No hope:
Message 4 of 9
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed  Great point! Apy does include the compounding. 

I remember a calculus problem, if you deposit $1 in an account that pays 100% annual interest, compounded continuously, how much would you have in one year? The answer is $2.71828... = e, Euler's number. 

Message 5 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@kremonis 

Here is link to a credit union that I am a member of 

https://forteracu.com/rates 

The access certificate allows contributions during the term of the CD.  Membership is easy it may require a video call.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 20,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 08/23/2024 Langley FCU Signature Cash Back Visa 10000Bank: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU Hughes FCU, LangleyFCU SDFCU auto CLI. 6/24 5000 to 20k

Message 6 of 9
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

@kremonis 

Here is link to a credit union that I am a member of 

https://forteracu.com/rates 

The access certificate allows contributions during the term of the CD.  Membership is easy it may require a video call.

Good, but not great.  Their best APY is 12 months at 4.65% APY.  Else, 4.05%.  One can do better.  The fact that it is an add-on CD is unique but I don't see the add-on feature trumping a higher rate, IMHO.  

https://forteracu.com/banking/personal/savings/certificates/access-certificate

No hope:
Message 7 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed  I agree. To some extent you need to know what the purpose the funds are being used for and when. Some financial institutions have decent CD recents but liquid savings accounts are  not competitive ie one or two percent. this type of account would like a pseudo  money market without the liquidity feature.   I can find credit unions  and banks that CD rates under one percent depending on the term.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 20,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 08/23/2024 Langley FCU Signature Cash Back Visa 10000Bank: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU Hughes FCU, LangleyFCU SDFCU auto CLI. 6/24 5000 to 20k

Message 8 of 9
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@kremonis wrote:

3-12 months

.19% APY

For example

Is math correct?

Late to find this post.

"No", as others have posted.

A few problems.

Apr and Apy are different animals, an Apr of 19% (daily) would = 17.4 Apr

and and Apy of 0.19% (daily) would = 0.1898 Apr.

17+ % interest is extremely high and probably an error and not the rate.

~0.2% Apr is really, really low interest, and would be earning almost nothing.

Don't know what the 0.19 is in your post but probably not the rate

0.2% for a year would be  ~ $2.40 gain

17.4% would be ~$235 for a 1 year.

3 months of $204 or $1,262 a year is bad math  Smiley LOL

If you were to put 1000+ full years deposit's in at the start = $1600,

@17.4%, and money compounded daily = $304 interest.

With 0.19 APR = 1 year is only $3.04

As also recommended by @ptatohed and others, a good HYS

where extra money to be added anytime and can have a rate very

similar or better.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.