Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Savings Account

tag
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Closing Savings Account

Anyone have any experience with this? I really want to close my Chase savings account (because the .01% interest makes me laugh and I already transferred most of my savings to Barclays for their 1% interest); I still have some money in it (about $900 because I can't remember the exact minimum I need to avoid the monthly fee and the paperwork for signing up is buried somewhere at my parents' house) but I'm done. I still love Chase for checkings and Freedom but I've moved on to greener pastures. I figure going into the branch and doing it there would be best? I'm such a wimp though and I tend to freak out easily so I was wondering if anyone had any stories about closing savings (or any account really). 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Re: Closing Savings Account

I've closed lots of accounts, and you don't owe them anything. It's your money, you can put it wherever you like. If the account is no longer serving your needs then you'd be silly not to do it.

They'll try to retain a customer, that's their job, but I just say (nicely but firmly) that the decision has been made and the account needs to be closed. Boom.
Message 2 of 7
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your reply! I'm going to stop by a branch after work sometime this week and do it. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Message 3 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

Thanks for your reply! I'm going to stop by a branch after work sometime this week and do it. 

do you have enough for min required in your checking account that is what i would do and just close out the savings account. .01% to me is basically no interest at all. I closed out my accounts from big brick and mortar banks quite an while ago so i don't remember what the min required was. 

I , like you, transferred my savings to one of the high yield options.Its laughable the interest that chase, WF, Citi, and BOA offer. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 7
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

do you have enough for min required in your checking account that is what i would do and just close out the savings account. .01% to me is basically no interest at all. I closed out my accounts from big brick and mortar banks quite an while ago so i don't remember what the min required was. 

I , like you, transferred my savings to one of the high yield options.Its laughable the interest that chase, WF, Citi, and BOA offer. 

I have more than enough for the min. in my checkings (I have no intention of closing my Chase checkings, it's really convenient); I just want to get the last $900 out of my savings and get rid of it. I'm going to stop by a branch tomorrow after work. 

I agree that the "big box" rates on savings are a joke...I've had my savings at Chase for over 2 years and have barely earned anything! I have a feeling my Barclays savings will treat me much better. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Callandra wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

I have more than enough for the min. in my checkings (I have no intention of closing my Chase checkings, it's really convenient); I just want to get the last $900 out of my savings and get rid of it. I'm going to stop by a branch tomorrow after work. 

I agree that the "big box" rates on savings are a joke...I've had my savings at Chase for over 2 years and have barely earned anything! I have a feeling my Barclays savings will treat me much better. Smiley Happy

sorry if i wasn't clear i would just keep money in your checking account with chase if you want to stay with them, as far as savings, i would use barclay , sychrony, or ally.. For your your emergency savings. 

For me i am using an combination of ally and my credit union that both offer rates on savings over .85 % not the greatest but an lot better than what WF used to offer me. I have enough there to cover my emergency savings everything else goes into my iRA :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 6 of 7
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for the replies! UPDATE: I went to a Chase branch today and closed my Savings account. It was really easy -- the banker did it in about 5 minutes and even transferred what was left in my savings to my checkings account. He did not give me a hard time at all (that's what I was worried about) and he was really nice. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.