Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt Level

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Debt Level

Obviously everyone wants to be debt free, my advice is to pay the most expensive debt first and then the lower debt.  As an example, DW's studen loans at 6% are first to go, then the mortgage at almost 4%, then my truck at 2.5% and then DW's Infiniti at .9%.  

Message 11 of 22
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

Obviously everyone wants to be debt free, my advice is to pay the most expensive debt first and then the lower debt.  As an example, DW's studen loans at 6% are first to go, then the mortgage at almost 4%, then my truck at 2.5% and then DW's Infiniti at .9%.  

Also as a rule each annual bonus I get 50% goes against the mortgage, 25% into savings and 25% into home improvements or recreation (last year was a new 36 ft travel trailer, this year will be new flooring and a bedroom set)

Message 12 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@sccredit wrote:

Sometimes I wonder about that.  Smiley Sad

But of course you are correct.

Message 13 of 22
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@sccredit wrote:

Sometimes I wonder about that.  Smiley Sad

But of course you are correct.

I guess I could correct that to say "everyone with common sense wants to be debt free" Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 22
cakkd
Contributor

Financial advisors usually say the one debt to take on is a mortgage. (It used to be a 15-year mortgage at that, but that's softened a bit with lower interest rates.)

My student loans and car loan are well below my mortgage IR, but I've decided to take them on first. Why? First, a mortgage is an appreciating asset (and my home value has been going up about 10% per year lately). A car loan is a depreciating asset, and education a stagnant asset. But more importantly, I can knock the car and student loans out much faster than I can a mortgage. Once they are off the table, I can put more towards the mortgage, retirement, etc.

Starting scores (June 9,2012): 591(TU), 582(EXP), 591(EQUI)
Current score: 721 (Discover Fico)
Goal scores: 761 across the board
Message 15 of 22
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Good plan, I also think that for most people including myself a mortgage will be an assumed/fixed cost in most of life while other debts are meant to be paid down as fast as possible. I hacked away 25k in student loans in 8 months by living minimally.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 16 of 22
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@cakkd wrote:

I'm 42 years old, and recently went on an overseas vacation with my 61-year-old friend who has been retired since he was 40. Though the way he retired early can;t be replicated, he had some simple advice to me on how I could at least retire at age 65: 1) Make sure you are getting the maximum match on your employer retirement account; 2) Pay off debt, and get your debt level as low as possible.

@cakkd wrote:

My student loans and car loan are well below my mortgage IR, but I've decided to take them on first. Why? First, a mortgage is an appreciating asset (and my home value has been going up about 10% per year lately). A car loan is a depreciating asset, and education a stagnant asset. But more importantly, I can knock the car and student loans out much faster than I can a mortgage. Once they are off the table, I can put more towards the mortgage, retirement, etc.

I suppose it would depend on how much you're now putting aside for retirement.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cakkd wrote:

I'm 42 years old, and recently went on an overseas vacation with my 61-year-old friend who has been retired since he was 40. Though the way he retired early can;t be replicated, he had some simple advice to me on how I could at least retire at age 65: 1) Make sure you are getting the maximum match on your employer retirement account; 2) Pay off debt, and get your debt level as low as possible.

I know these forums are focused on credit, and I have been focused on improving my credit to get the best mortgage refinancing rate. But isn't lowering your debt level a more important priority? My current debt payments are 36% of my gross income. I'd like to get this down to below 20% in the next three-and--half years. According to my friend, even though my student loan rates are little above 2% and car loan around .7%, I should still pay them off as fast as possible.

It looks like we are going to be fighting deflation for a while, so this means low borrowing rates but also low interest on savings.

Does it then make sense to concentrate now on paying off debt?

I dont think anybody could justify not paying off your debt when you have the money to do so. 

Message 18 of 22
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

One way of looking at it is paying off debt is a 100% way to get a return on your effort, that return is whatever interest payment you are paying on the debt, if the debt is 10% interest and you pay it off, you saved 10%, where else are you going to get 10% return on your money. use debt, yes, wisely, but pay it off and get it outta your life.

Message 19 of 22
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Nobody ever got into trouble for telling you to pay down your debt. It's a guaranteed return on investment.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.