Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt consolidation - Personal loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt consolidation - Personal loan?

Hi all! My first post here... please feel free to move it if it's not the right section. 

Here's some background: I've decided 2020 is the year I will become debt-free. I wasn't very credit savvy in the past and wasn't managing my finances as well as I should have. I recently made some changes and I'm beginning to see some progress already! I started off the year with ~11k in CC debt and now down to ~5k. I've been way more aggressive with my payments and lowered my overall uti down to just about 20%, with 3 cards just under 30% each and the others are zero (trying to aim for azeo). I have about 8 credit cards/store cards, 2 student loans, 1 car loan, and 1 Self loan. I have 6 late payments on my student loans from back in 2016. They did a retroactive forebearance (in the process of trying to goodwill these) so since I have 2 loans it shows up as 12 late payments. I started off the year in the low 600s and just made it to 700! The highest my score has ever been Smiley Happy

I'm considering getting a personal loan to pay off the 5k I owe but not sure if it'll actually make a noticeable impact on my score right now.  I plan to continue paying 1k a month and hopefully be done by end of year. I was thinking if I continue making these payments as I have been that may help with my payment history ratio also.

Here's my question: Which would have the greatest positive impact to my score?  A) Get the loan, pay debt in full, direct 1k monthly payments to loan or B) no loan, continue making 1k payments? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Debt consolidation - Personal loan?

Congratulations on your success thus far.

I think you are on the proper path. Stay on course. You have reduced your outstanding debt at a good rate. No need to add an additional installment account if not necessary.

Message 2 of 6
AllZero
Mega Contributor
Message 3 of 6
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Since you will continue paying your cards down by $1k a month, then I wouldn't bother with the loan. You'll take a score hit when the loan reports, and you have other loans on your report that you don't need it for mix. Your scores will continue to rise as you get below each utilization threshold. 

Message 4 of 6
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

Since you will continue paying your cards down by $1k a month, then I wouldn't bother with the loan. You'll take a score hit when the loan reports, and you have other loans on your report that you don't need it for mix. Your scores will continue to rise as you get below each utilization threshold. 

I agree on just paying things down, and forget the loan.

Message 5 of 6
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I'd recommend taking out a 0% APR BT card and sticking discretionary items on it.

It would increase your total CLI, reducing your utilization. Also free up more cash flow to knock the 5k debt out. Good opportunity to upgrade cards while you can.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.