Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Personal Loan Prequal... Nope!

tag
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Discover Personal Loan Prequal... Nope!

I filed my BK7 in April of 2011.  I've worked very hard to maintain a perfect record ever since. Finally got the alerts, and double checked, that the BK had fallen off the three major CRBs.

Yesterday, after the 20th physical mailer, multiple emails, I figured I was curious about what rate I would qualify for on a personal loan from Discover for a large project I have coming up.

Went through the motions of the prequal site, and BOOM... Denied a prequal.   The reason?  "Bankruptcy."  They weren't even burned in my BK.  The letter said that they used Transunion, Sagestream and LexisNexis.   I know Sagestream is frozen... I don't remember if LexisNexis is or not.

Very irritating.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Discover Personal Loan Prequal... Nope!

IIRC, LexisNexis still keeps a record of it regardless whether it's fallen off the major 3 CRAs.  

Message 2 of 4
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

IIRC, LexisNexis still keeps a record of it regardless whether it's fallen off the major 3 CRAs.  

Aren't they required by the FCRA to remove the record after 10 years?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 3 of 4
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Dalmus wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Aren't they required by the FCRA to remove the record after 10 years?

They're a data broker, not a credit bureau, so it doesn't apply to them.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.