Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ETRADE require a HP?

tag
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Does ETRADE require a HP?

I am opening my first very online stock trading account and want to go with ETRADE.  Do they do a HP?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does ETRADE require a HP?

I am not sure, I never used etrade, but I doubt that they should, really no reason to. I can't knock etrade because I never used it, but I highly recommend Scottrade. I had a brokerage account through Sharebuilder and it was completely useless to me as they don't deal with too many pinksheet stocks. Every stock I wanted to buy Sharebuilder wouldn't let me, so I switched to Scottrade and pretty much anything I want to buy, I can. That's just me though, I like the penny stocks.

Message 2 of 7
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

FWIW, Schwab did when I opened an account.  (HP)

Message 3 of 7
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

I had planned to but they require a $2500 minimum deposit. I wanted to start at $1000 to learn.

After a few months (about 2-3) I will move to scott trader. Its much better.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoshNurse wrote:

I had planned to but they require a $2500 minimum deposit. I wanted to start at $1000 to learn.

After a few months (about 2-3) I will move to scott trader. Its much better.

Wow, I thought you were confused, that didn't sound right, so I went and checked their site and sure enough, it is $2500 now, that is crazy and will surely cost them a lot of business. I opened an account with them a couple years ago and the minimum then was only $500 I believe. I ended up cashing out my stocks and closing the account a year or so ago (because the rep said it would be better to cancel it until I am ready to invest again) wish I wouldn't have closed it now. Well I sure will not be praising Scottrade anymore, I think an initial deposit of $2500 is outrageous. Just another punch to the lower/middle class.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure about etrade but sharebuilder didn't for me, although I opened the account 5-6 years ago. No minimum either as far as I know. I mainly trade ETFs and a few individual stocks so it fits my needs, but like a poster said above they do block most penny stocks. If you're a Costco member you actually get cheaper trades oddly enough.
Message 6 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I am not sure, I never used etrade, but I doubt that they should, really no reason to. I can't knock etrade because I never used it, but I highly recommend Scottrade. I had a brokerage account through Sharebuilder and it was completely useless to me as they don't deal with too many pinksheet stocks. Every stock I wanted to buy Sharebuilder wouldn't let me, so I switched to Scottrade and pretty much anything I want to buy, I can. That's just me though, I like the penny stocks.

I can confirm that Scottrade was SP to open.   I don't have any data on ETRADE.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.