cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Penfed offer any secured products anymore?

tag
tonyclem63

Does Penfed offer any secured products anymore?

I can't find where they do.

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: Does Penfed offer any secured products anymore?

Yes, they have a secured loan that you can do against savings or CD.  They do have a requirement that the funds must be on deposit with them for at least 30 days prior to doing a secured loan unless they can validate where the money came from (i.e. you transferred it from another penfed account to the account you want to use to secure the loan).

You have to call them in order to set the secured loan up and they can do it over the phone.  There is not much information about it, but my mom and brother had one as part of their credit building steps.  Happy to try to answer any questions that you have.  There was no credit pull or anything for it.

If you are looking to build credit with PenFed, you could use the secured loan, and also see about getting a $500 Thrifty Checking Account Line of Credit.  From what others have indicated in the past, they seemed to be easier to get as you can only access that LOC by overdrafting your checking account, and it does go onto your credit report, but I do think there was a credit pull for that.  When my brother got it, I believe they used the same pull from when they opened his checking account in order to open the Thrifty Checking Account Line of Credit.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.