Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dow Chemical Employees CU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dow Chemical Employees CU

While researching credit unions I ran across Dow Chemical Employees' Credit Union and I can join since I own a couple of shares of Dow stock. The checking and savings are pretty underwhelming but the low rate 6.9% visa looks promising.  Does anyone have any experience with them?

https://www.dcecu.org/

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
MrZero
Regular Contributor

Re: Dow Chemical Employees CU

Do you live in or near Midland, MI? It's been a long time since I've had any interaction with DCECU aside from using their co-op ATM recently for NFCU stuff but from past experience and that of friends/acquaintances it's not a credit union I would join without being able to go there in person. I don't have any CC experience with them but I don't believe they're a particularly generous CU. Might be more accommodating to actual Dow employees in the area that are better off and use them as their primary.

Updated 8/12/22.

Total Inquiries: EX: 1|TU: 1|EQ: 1
Derogs: 0
AAoA: 2Y1M
AoOA: 2Y6M.
AoYA: 1Y1M.
Total CL: 57,600
Utilization: ~1%

Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I dont know, a 6.9% apr cc is a 6.9% apr ccSmiley Wink if you can get it , get itSmiley Wink. Limits be darnedSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrZero wrote:

@MrZero wrote:

Do you live in or near Midland, MI? It's been a long time since I've had any interaction with DCECU aside from using their co-op ATM recently for NFCU stuff but from past experience and that of friends/acquaintances it's not a credit union I would join without being able to go there in person. I don't have any CC experience with them but I don't believe they're a particularly generous CU. Might be more accommodating to actual Dow employees in the area that are better off and use them as their primary.

Thank you for the information. I am in PA and I could see them being on the conservative side.  
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

I dont know, a 6.9% apr cc is a 6.9% apr ccSmiley Wink if you can get it , get itSmiley Wink. Limits be darnedSmiley Happy

LOL. That was the only reason why I was looking at them. I did see their minimum CL is 2500 which does make me wonder what they are expecting you to have to get that min. 

Message 5 of 9
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@MrZero wrote:

Hi @MrZero , I would love to hear more details about your impressions of DCECU. I recently joined them and so far I have found them to be very well managed. They aren't the highest tech CU around, and their CC underwriting does seem somewhat conservative, but it sounds like you have other negative things to say about them. Feel free to PM anything you don't want to say here. 

Message 6 of 9
MrZero
Regular Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@MrZero wrote:

Hi @MrZero , I would love to hear more details about your impressions of DCECU. I recently joined them and so far I have found them to be very well managed. They aren't the highest tech CU around, and their CC underwriting does seem somewhat conservative, but it sounds like you have other negative things to say about them. Feel free to PM anything you don't want to say here. 

I should've added it in my post when mentioning others I've known who haven't had good experiences. It's been almost ten years since I severed my relationship with them but I was a member since the mid-80s when I was little because of my grandparents (my grandfather had worked for Dow for over 20 years before taking a buyout for early retirement) and they denied an app on a $10,000 autoloan when I desperately needed a car, so my grandmother got involved, she along with my grandfather had been members for over 50 years and for most of that time did the majority of their banking through them (and Chemical Bank for convinence) and she was denied too. I don't remember the reasons for either denial but I'm sure mine had to do with my lack of credit history and not having much in savings with them and with my grandmother it had to do with her no longer having most of her savings in them since she no longer lived in Midland and going there or calling for regular banking was too inconvenient.

The loan ended up getting approved because of my grandmother through Frankenmuth CU (I kind of got screwed by my name not being on the loan even though I was paying and handling it) which we had zero prior relationship with and actually should probably look into them now for a more local CU. Anyway, after that my grandmother took the rest of her money out and closed her DCECU accounts as did I.

Afterward I heard a number of other stories of friends and aquaintences with similar experiences with them valuing whether you're an actual Dow employee and how much money you have with them over anything else along with not so great experiences with rude employees, basically if the answer is no to both of those forget it. Maybe they've gotten better over the last few years but I doubt it and thankfully they're no longer the only CU in Midland.

Updated 8/12/22.

Message 7 of 9
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Thanks for explaining. That's weird that they wouldn't give you an auto loan. I can certainly understand why that left a bad taste in your mouth. 

I haven't found any of their employees to be rude in my very limited experience so far this year. They had my membership application handled by an "onboarding" person who was very warm and friendly. The person who handled my CC app was much more serious, but all of that seems to make sense. 

Thanks again. Hope you find a CU you are happy with!

Message 8 of 9
MrZero
Regular Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Thanks for explaining. That's weird that they wouldn't give you an auto loan. I can certainly understand why that left a bad taste in your mouth. 

I haven't found any of their employees to be rude in my very limited experience so far this year. They had my membership application handled by an "onboarding" person who was very warm and friendly. The person who handled my CC app was much more serious, but all of that seems to make sense. 

Thanks again. Hope you find a CU you are happy with!

I've been pretty happy with NFCU so far but I've only been a member for about a month and a half. Smiley LOL

Not particularly looking for anything else now, eventually I might look into others experiences with FCU.

Updated 8/12/22.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.