Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELOC vs PLOC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELOC vs PLOC

Hello Everyone!

Can someone explain the benefits and drawbacks of HELOC vs PLOC and why?

What do you use one for vs the other?

Which has a better interest rate? Payback? Credit score needed? Which bank/CU? I have so many questions 😁

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

PLOC vs CC for some home improvement

Which is better to use for a small home improvement <$20,000 PLOC or CC?

Message 2 of 16
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: PLOC vs CC for some home improvement

Probably whichever one has the lower interest rate, assuming you don't intend to PIF right away. They count similarly on credit reports, I think. I don't have a PLOC, but nearly got one to use for a motorcycle purchase, before someone here explained how it works and I decided to get an installment loan instead.

Edit: a "HELOC vs PLOC" thread got combined with a "PLOC vs CC" thread. My answer is re: "PLOC vs CC".

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 3 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

A HELOC has a much lower interest rate, my Penfed HELOC interest rate is currently 3.75%. BUT a HELOC requires an appraisal of your home's value that will cost you $400-500. But then most HELOCs are good for 15 years, so if you plan to keep your home for some time it works out over the long term. But if you may sell & move in a few years, a PLOC, Personal loan, or even a CC with 15-18 months 0% BT may be the better move.

Message 4 of 16
iced
Valued Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

A HELOC has a much lower interest rate, my Penfed HELOC interest rate is currently 3.75%. BUT a HELOC requires an appraisal of your home's value that will cost you $400-500. But then most HELOCs are good for 15 years, so if you plan to keep your home for some time it works out over the long term. But if you may sell & move in a few years, a PLOC, Personal loan, or even a CC with 15-18 months 0% BT may be the better move.

Would this still be true if the bank giving you the HELOC is the same that holds your mortgage? In such a case, they're already pretty aware of the home value and the equity you hold within it.

Not particularly interested in one myself, but I would be surprised if I asked Chase (my mortgage lender) for a HELOC and they came back asking for additonal information that they already had.

Message 5 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: HELOC vs PLOC

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Everyone!

Can someone explain the benefits and drawbacks of HELOC vs PLOC and why?

What do you use one for vs the other?

Which has a better interest rate? Payback? Credit score needed? Which bank/CU? I have so many questions 😁

1. I don't recommend using HELOC's because I think it's a bad idea to borrow against your home.

2. HELOC's  have lower interest rates than PLOC's.

3. I don't recommend that you borrow with PLOC's either. The interest rates are too high.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 16
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Re: HELOC vs PLOC

To answer the question on if it is better to use a credit card or PLOC for the home improvement work, I would go with the previous suggestion to find an 18 month 0% card if you would be able to pay it off in that time.  

I agree with @SouthJamaica, borrowing against a home is something I would try to avoid at most every cost.  

Is this work that you can save for?  Sometimes patience is the best answer. 

Message 7 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@iced wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Would this still be true if the bank giving you the HELOC is the same that holds your mortgage? In such a case, they're already pretty aware of the home value and the equity you hold within it.

Not particularly interested in one myself, but I would be surprised if I asked Chase (my mortgage lender) for a HELOC and they came back asking for additonal information that they already had.

Property values fluctuate with the economy. With the current record low mortgage interest rates home values in most areas are rising. Maybe if you got your mortgage within the past few months, but if you want a home equity loan within a few months of getting a mortgage you should have just gotten a bigger mortgage.

As for those who think it's a bad idea to borrow against your home, it may be a bad idea if you use the money to buy something frivolous or something you really can't afford. But used wisely like home improvements etc. it can be a wise choice. I consider my mortgage & HELOC payment to be like rent, only usually a much better deal. You have to pay something for a place to live, and my mortgage/heloc payment is still much lower than I would pay to rent something in my area, so I'm happy. 

Message 8 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@iced wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Property values fluctuate with the economy. With the current record low mortgage interest rates home values in most areas are rising. Maybe if you got your mortgage within the past few months, but if you want a home equity loan within a few months of getting a mortgage you should have just gotten a bigger mortgage.

As for those who think it's a bad idea to borrow against your home, it may be a bad idea if you use the money to buy something frivolous or something you really can't afford. But used wisely like home improvements etc. it can be a wise choice. I consider my mortgage & HELOC payment to be like rent, only usually a much better deal. You have to pay something for a place to live, and my mortgage/heloc payment is still much lower than I would pay to rent something in my area, so I'm happy. 

IMHO it's not a question of how "wisely" you use the money.

It's a question of risk.

When everything's hunky dory, yes it's lovely to "tap into the equity" of your home. But if one's financial circumstances turn against you, and/or the real estate situation turns against you, it's not great that you leveraged the place that you and your family live.

If you're very wealthy you don't need to borrow for home improvements.

If you're not very wealthy, all it takes is one illness, or accident, or loss of one's job, and the world can turn against you pretty fast.

The risk of foreclosure is not a pretty picture.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 16
creditfan
Established Contributor

I see everybody has their own points.

Everything always has bright and dark sides. No one size fits all. 

If you are disciplined with your money, pay only what you needs and buy what you can afford then heloc is the way to go.

more things heloc can do and has 

- can be used an emergency fund 

- payoff your home faster with heloc using velocity banking method (youtube has many of them)

- investments 

- low interest rates off course 

I will say this again to avoid arguments maybe later happen in this topic because I have seen so many on youtube comments already.

*heloc maybe good for me but not for you because everybody has different situations, tastes and styles of seeing things 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.