Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's the market treating you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How's the market treating you?

The site for me to even log in and look at my investments is out of service right now. LOL.

Message 61 of 308
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The site for me to even log in and look at my investments is out of service right now. LOL.

Might be best not to look anyhow.Smiley Wink

I have only logged in to put a few buy orders. on the days that were mostly down.

I remember My dad being rock solid through the '87 crash .. in 2000 when He passed,

I took over Management for His accounts .. He had made some serious dough.

Message 62 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Might be best not to look anyhow.Smiley Wink

I have only logged in to put a few buy orders. on the days that were mostly down.

I remember My dad being rock solid through the '87 crash .. in 2000 when He passed,

I took over Management for His accounts .. He had made some serious dough.

I got in and it's a little better than the last time I looked . . . down about 10%.

Which is about what I made in 2019, so I'm sort of viewing it as a wash of sorts for the moment. 

Message 63 of 308
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

This post will likely upset some people, so I'll try to keep it FSR as I point something out.

The virus has killed a lot of old and sick people, and will continue to do so. If I had relatives who were very old or sick, I would be scared. However, the last few years have seen the deaths (unrelated causes) of the two people in my family who would be most vulnerable were they living today. I have the luxury, if you wish to call it that, of not having people close to me at very high risk. I do have people close to me at moderate risk.

Very few young and healthy people are dying, so when this eventually is under some sort of control, we'll still have a workforce.

The likely upsetting part: Some resources that currently go to providing income and healthcare to retired, sick, or otherwise not-currently-productive members of society will eventually be freed up and can be directed elsewhere. Years ago there was a lot of concern about the future of programs like Social Security and Medicare. If a million old and sick Americans die from this instead of living another 20 years, that will relieve some budgetary strain on the government and families. Emotionally painful, but not financially.

I spent a lot of time taking care of the two relatives I mentioned. One thing I did question during that time was the wisdom of dedicating so much of our resources to make very small improvements in life expectancy and comfort for people who aren't going to live much longer, anyway.

*I'm not against the idea of our country spending a lot on healthcare...it just seems to me that universal coverage of the working-age population and children should be a higher priority.

As far as my investments, no significant changes. Still own a lot of of Berkshire.

That's an interesting value judgement. People who worked a full career paying into support systems benefiting the generation before them should now be abandoned? The folks demanding free everything from cradle to grave are too woke to vote.

Message 64 of 308
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

This post will likely upset some people, so I'll try to keep it FSR as I point something out.

The virus has killed a lot of old and sick people, and will continue to do so. If I had relatives who were very old or sick, I would be scared. However, the last few years have seen the deaths (unrelated causes) of the two people in my family who would be most vulnerable were they living today. I have the luxury, if you wish to call it that, of not having people close to me at very high risk. I do have people close to me at moderate risk.

Very few young and healthy people are dying, so when this eventually is under some sort of control, we'll still have a workforce.

The likely upsetting part: Some resources that currently go to providing income and healthcare to retired, sick, or otherwise not-currently-productive members of society will eventually be freed up and can be directed elsewhere. Years ago there was a lot of concern about the future of programs like Social Security and Medicare. If a million old and sick Americans die from this instead of living another 20 years, that will relieve some budgetary strain on the government and families. Emotionally painful, but not financially.

I spent a lot of time taking care of the two relatives I mentioned. One thing I did question during that time was the wisdom of dedicating so much of our resources to make very small improvements in life expectancy and comfort for people who aren't going to live much longer, anyway.

*I'm not against the idea of our country spending a lot on healthcare...it just seems to me that universal coverage of the working-age population and children should be a higher priority.

That's an interesting value judgement. People who worked a full career paying into support systems benefiting the generation before them should now be abandoned? The folks demanding free everything from cradle to grave are too woke to vote.

I was going to post something similar, but it seemed like the thread would have taken a life of its own in a differnt path. If I work my whole life paying into systems, I at least would like it to be there when I need it. Medicare/SS/unemployment etc. should all be meant for someone else to use? Otherwise stop taking it out of my pay, and allow me to manage it. For better or worse! 

Message 65 of 308
donkort
Valued Contributor

We should emulate other cultures.....and have the utmost respect for the wisdom of old people.  They deserve to have a nice, golden retirement.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 66 of 308
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@donkort wrote:

We should emulate other cultures.....and have the utmost respect for the wisdom of old people.  They deserve to have a nice, golden retirement.

Good Stuff!!!

Message 67 of 308
wa3more
Established Contributor

I keep looking at the news and can't believe with a worldwide pandemic, s and p is only down 20%. Feels like it should or could be double that. And this is 20 down from an inflated market.  I don't know , I guess we will see.  

Message 68 of 308
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@wa3more wrote:

I keep looking at the news and can't believe with a worldwide pandemic, s and p is only down 20%. Feels like it should or could be double that. And this is 20 down from an inflated market.  I don't know , I guess we will see.  

Well, I am not sure how much the News media has spun this. I do not watch much News.

I guess it could be down more? .. Maybe the Toilet paper Companies are keeping it afloat?

The Market's will price in whatever is really going on!   .. That I do know.

Trying to have a little Humor, to lighten the mood.

Message 69 of 308
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@wa3more wrote:

Well, I am not sure how much the News media has spun this. I do not watch much News.

I guess it could be down more? .. Maybe the Toilet paper Companies are keeping it afloat?

The Market's will price in whatever is really going on!   .. That I do know.

Trying to have a little Humor, to lighten the mood.

The media isn't spinning anything:  whole countries have announced that they are shut down (Italy, now France and Spain); the media has reported it. Countries don't undertake these measures lightly -- and they certainly don't do these because of a rumor or hoax or spin. 

The market had been reacting to the lack of information on Coronavirus  -- its a mystery how much it has spread in the US because of the lack of testing -- and the clumsy federal response. 

I don't believe the market has priced in the total economic impact from the virus -- mostly because we don't quite know the extent of it. 

I've seen this whole "media spinning" sentiment a few times on this forum and its concerning.  I get the attempt to not panic, but I don't understand minimizing the seriousness of the situation.  If you don't care for what major print news outlets put out, then go to Journal of the American Medical Association (https://jamanetwork.com) or Science Direct information hub (https://www.elsevier.com/connect/coronavirus-information-center?dgcid=_SD_banner#research) where you can access primary research covering the Coronavirus. 

Message 70 of 308
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.