Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRA vs CD - which is right for me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

IRA vs CD - which is right for me?

I am pretty new to understanding my finances so please bear with me. I am currently looking for ways other than my savings account to save money for the future. I am in a not so good situation at home and am trying to improve my credit and save money for a future home. Obviously this isn't an overnight thing and I am hoping to find something in the length of about 2-3 years (which I can later renew) as well as saving for retirement. I'm not sure which is better for me, an IRA or a CD? Is it possible to do both?

I'm also going to get more information on a 401(k) when I return to work this week.

Message Edited by tira on 07-20-2009 03:05 PM
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Re: IRA vs CD - which is right for me?

If you're looking for a short term investment, then a CD is the way to go.  An IRA is for retirement, you can't withdraw from that account without a penalty until you are at least 59 1/2 years old except for very specific exceptions.  The IRA is a long term investment.  You definitely can (and should) do both, as there are limits as to how much you can contribute to an IRA on a yearly basis, and a balanced portfolio has a mix of short term and long term investments. 
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply. I am checking out bankrate.com and the amounts needed to open a CD are higher than what I have available. The ones that I have enough to afford are lower rated and banks I'm not familiar with. Is starting out always this frustrating or is it just me?
Message 3 of 32
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I am checking out bankrate.com and the amounts needed to open a CD are higher than what I have available. The ones that I have enough to afford are lower rated and banks I'm not familiar with. Is starting out always this frustrating or is it just me?

LOL. No it's not you. I have been frustrated by finances for many decades. Believe me you are not alone.

Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO. 

Message 4 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

You can also go with Roth IRA , where you can withdraw any amount with no penalties.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 32
compassion101
Established Contributor

Definitely contribute to your 401k to the maximum your employer will match.

Other than that, you can open an IRA and pull out up to 10k from it later to buy a house with no penalty, but you will have to pay regular taxes on the 10k.

A better suggestion IMO would be that if your taxable income (income after tax deductions) is expected to be less than 36k over the next couple of years, just open a brokerage account (non-retirement account) and put the money into SPY (basically the S&P500). You don't need to know much about the market to do that. Obviously there is some risk but on average it's probably the best gain you're gonna make and all the gains become tax free if you hold onto it for more than a year and you are under the 36k taxable income. 

Message 6 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

If you need the money in the 1-2 year time frame, putting it in the market (even the SPY index) doesn't make sense to me: stocks or the market as a whole can go down in that time frame and not be there for a mortgage down payment.

Carrying it in a guaranteed investment is likely a better choice in his scenario. Longer term I think SPY is a good choice.

Withdrawls from either IRA type still has to be for a qualified reason: namely to be penalty free it needs to be for a first time home in this example.  Roth IRA's still have a 10% penalty otherwise as i understand it, though that might be on gains rather than the initial investment I've never looked seriously into it.

        
Message 7 of 32
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

If you need the money in the 1-2 year time frame, putting it in the market (even the SPY index) doesn't make sense to me: stocks or the market as a whole can go down in that time frame and not be there for a mortgage down payment.

Carrying it in a guaranteed investment is likely a better choice in his scenario. Longer term I think SPY is a good choice.

Withdrawls from either IRA type still has to be for a qualified reason: namely to be penalty free it needs to be for a first time home in this example.  Roth IRA's still have a 10% penalty otherwise as i understand it, though that might be on gains rather than the initial investment I've never looked seriously into it.

From what i understand about roth ira , there is no penalty when you withdraw early since you are already paid tax on your contribution. Roth IRA is in contrast to 401k and traditonal IRA because you can withdraw early without penalty. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong about that. 

Also for short term investment like 1-2 years. Only way i would go is safely with an high yield online savings account or an cd. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

From what i understand about roth ira , there is no penalty when you withdraw early since you are already paid tax on your contribution. Roth IRA is in contrast to 401k and traditonal IRA because you can withdraw early without penalty. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong about that. 

Also for short term investment like 1-2 years. Only way i would go is safely with an high yield online savings account or an cd. 

You don't pay taxes on your contribution, you do pay taxes on your earnings in this case, and there's still the 10% IRS penalty fee if you're not using it for a qualified purpose from what little research I did a few years ago.  This contrasts to the traditional IRA / /401k where you pay at your standard tax rate for all contributions and earnings plus a 10% fee on top of that.

I didn't really look into it beyond that as pulling from any tax-advantaged retirement plan in my case would be an absolute last resort: namely, I'm going to lose my house (if I owned one) otherwise.  With how difficult it is to get money into the plan comparitively, and the opportunity cost associated with the lost compounding interest, I'd sacrifice most other assets in my life before that.  That said my burn rate is trivial compared to most people apparently and it is a YMMV situation.

        
Message 9 of 32
compassion101
Established Contributor

I agree SPY is not a guarantee and not for everyone, but it's all about risk tolerance. Even for 2 years if it were me I would put it inSPY as opposed to a cd knowing that if things went well I could either get the house earlier than expected or afford more of a downpayment, and that if things went bad I would have to save somewhat longer than expected. If it was money I needed 2 years from now to either live or die then I would just put it in a savings account and take virutally no risk.

Just some numbers so OP can have a better understanding of the risk/reward outlook, looking at the 2 year returns of the S&P since 1975 (as far back as I ran data). Keep in mind this is not a large enough sample size to guarantee that the results over the next 2 years will fall into this range.  However, the S&P has been up 32 of the 2 year periods and averaged a return of 28% over those 2 years. I has also been down in 6 of those 2 year periods and the average return over those 2 years is -21%. SPY also has an annual dividend yield of around 2% which increases returns and lessens the losses. So based on those figures:

$10,000 invested today in the S&P on average will be worth $13,200 in 2 years 84% of the time, and worth $8,300 16% of the time. The most that 10k  has been worth over the data sample is $17,000 (1997/1998) and the least is $6,800 (2007/2008). Meanwhile a cd of $10,000 will be worth about $10,200 nearly 100% of the time atm. Of course cd rates will likely go up over the next couple of years but probably not much and only if you wait to invest in the higher rate.

Just consider your situation and find an option best suited to your needs.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.