Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS yet to process 2020 taxes paper filed in April 2021

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

IRS yet to process 2020 taxes paper filed in April 2021

How do I get IRS to process our 2020 taxes that were paper filed in April 2021.  They cashed the payment.  The transcripts reflect the receipt of the payment sent with the return but indicate no tax return filed.  Should I file an electronic amended return?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
altstates93
Valued Member

Re: IRS yet to process 2020 taxes paper filed in April 2021

Covid has created major delays with paper processing. 

You can go to IRS.gov and search "IRS Operations During Covid-19" to see more information. 

The TL; DR summary: Expect delays with processing paper documents. Don't send a second return. Don't call about the status of your return. 

I sent an amended return on paper in May. If they process it before October, it would surprise me.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me but I actually efiled. They took my payment months ago but flagged me for identity verification... and it's impossible to get a person. I've called 20+ times with no luck. Mine is also listed as no return filed.

So far, it hasn't been an issue for my mortgage and I'm just pending proof my current house sold to get my CTC.

Message 3 of 14
zerofire
Valued Contributor

I have an electronic return filed on the day it was due and it has not been processed either, what is your point? The IRS is suffering the biggest return backlog it has ever had this year. Also what does this have to do with mortgages?

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 4 of 14
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How do I get IRS to process our 2020 taxes that were paper filed in April 2021.  They cashed the payment.  The transcripts reflect the receipt of the payment sent with the return but indicate no tax return filed.  Should I file an electronic amended return?

Why the urgency? You filed before the deadline and the fact they cashed the check means you have proof of payment. I paper filed in late April and they cashed my check as well though I have no idea if they've processed my taxes. What would this affect?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm refinancing and the bank is requiring not just the tax returns but also my 2019 and 2020 tax account transcripts.

Message 6 of 14
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

I filed fed March 3rd and have not received my $2500 refund. Status says, "pending". 

Message 7 of 14
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I filed my return 6/26 and received my refund 8/2. They must be getting caught up. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you paper file or efile?

Message 9 of 14
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you paper file or efile?

Paper, IRS doesn't accept some of our forms electronically. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.