Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insane Car Insurance Premiums

tag
NC84
Regular Contributor

Insane Car Insurance Premiums

So I did my research on getting new Jeep Wrangler and read all these article's how its in the top 3 lowest vehicles to insure. I'm going to be 34, no accidents in over 5 years, defensive driving , clean DMV and on time payments etc. The lowest I can get for a 6 month policy is $1,050. some go from $1600 all the way to $6,000 for a liberty mutual 6 month policy quote. Ive never in my life paid this much for insurance. I feel like I am getting robbed. Is this just the way it is these days in NY? I was always told the older you get the lower you will pay as long as you dont have alot of accidents and tickets. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Insane Car Insurance Premiums

Doesn't sound too crazy to me, but then again I live in So Cal and we've driven < 5yo cars for the past several years. Curious if that's NYC, NYC-adjacent, or somewhere else in the state. 

Do you have other insurance it can be bundled with (homeowners/renters) or have any professional associations you can seek discounts from? 

While you can save money by bundling home and auto, I'm proof that their strategy to keep you entangled works. I keep saying I'm going to shop and switch but since my HO renews at a very busy time in my year and its at a different time from my auto, I keep putting it off. I WILL shop it this summer! 

GL

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP—Is that full coverage, liability only? What are your deductibles? Full coverage for my BMW 428i in Texas is $755.30 with a $500 deductible. If you’ve got full coverage in NY that doesn’t seem terribly high to me given the general cost of living differences between our states and the level of state regulation put on insurance companies differs from state to state as well. I suspect some required coverages you have may not be requirements in many other states as a way for the state to dissuade people from owning/driving POVs as opposed to public transportation.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like above said, looks good to me if it's full coverage. I'm in San Diego and i pay $1.7k every six months for two cars, home owners insurance, life insurance and umbrella insurance of $1M. 

If you have others things to bundle, do so. Maybe get renters insurance if you're renting.

Message 4 of 13
iced
Valued Contributor

@NC84 wrote:

So I did my research on getting new Jeep Wrangler and read all these article's how its in the top 3 lowest vehicles to insure. I'm going to be 34, no accidents in over 5 years, defensive driving , clean DMV and on time payments etc. The lowest I can get for a 6 month policy is $1,050. some go from $1600 all the way to $6,000 for a liberty mutual 6 month policy quote. Ive never in my life paid this much for insurance. I feel like I am getting robbed. Is this just the way it is these days in NY? I was always told the older you get the lower you will pay as long as you dont have alot of accidents and tickets. 

I have a clean record and pay around $2,600/year for insurance. I also live in a city. Before, when I lived in a suburban/rural area, the rates were about half that.

If you really want insane, find someone who lives in Detroit or New Orleans and ask what they pay.

Message 5 of 13
Appleman
Valued Contributor

I guess next time call the insurance company directly and see what the cost will be before buying. I know with my insurance company, I can even get the quote on-line by entering a VIN or manually enter all of the model information.

Depending on the Wrangler (model, cost) and location it could make sense to pay $175. Also, since this is a credit forum, that can affect your rates as well.

Message 6 of 13
marmaladepie
Regular Contributor

Hi there,
We’ve had experience w auto insurance in NY CT NJ and CA (yes we’ve moved a lot).
On the east coast, your credit score is determines your rates. While in CA a female gets better rates even if the spouse/male has higher fico. Interesting huh? We found this out by shopping around and testing who’s name is on as primary.
I agree w getting a bundle (w renters or even umbrella insurance). And if you can pay in full the premium as monthly payments add on a $5-10 fee per payment made.
We’ve also tried the Progressive snapshot program where they analyze your driving habits to give you up to 30% off your policy. It was avail on the east coast but CA laws doesn’t allow it. DM me if you want tips on this 😉
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you spoken to Flo about bundling?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marmaladepie wrote:
Hi there,
We’ve had experience w auto insurance in NY CT NJ and CA (yes we’ve moved a lot).

On the east coast, your credit score is determines your rates. While in CA a female gets better rates even if the spouse/male has higher fico. Interesting huh? We found this out by shopping around and testing who’s name is on as primary.
I agree w getting a bundle (w renters or even umbrella insurance). And if you can pay in full the premium as monthly payments add on a $5-10 fee per payment made.

We’ve also tried the Progressive snapshot program where they analyze your driving habits to give you up to 30% off your policy. It was avail on the east coast but CA laws doesn’t allow it. DM me if you want tips on this 😉

Insurers do indeed use credit scores in determining how much they charge customers.  (Scores are naturally only one of the considerations.)  They use credit scores in every state except California, Massachusetts and Hawaii -- where state law prohibits it.

They typically use a non-FICO scoring system favored by the insurance industry.  The most widespread model is made by LexisNexis and uses (I believe) Equifax data.  There's another competing model that is made by TransUnion and uses its data.

The two non-FICO models I just mentioned are similar to FICO in the sense that high CC utilization, late payments, etc. hurt your score.  They are different in that other things on the report can hurt your score, e.g....

*  The presence of store cards

*  The presence of auto accounts (PepBoys, AutoZone, Firestone, Goodyear, etc.)

*  Having a loan as your oldest account (weird but true)

New credit (inquiries, recently opened accounts, etc.) freaks the insurance score out much more than it does FICO, and the insurance model considers any account that is < 24 months old to be New.

All of which is to say that even with our OP's clean driving record (etc.) if he has a higher premium it might be because his insurance credit scores are low. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pay $650 for 6 months in NYC and my car is 11 years old and only worth $5k.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.