Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just signed up with NFCU & USAA

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Just signed up with NFCU & USAA

Oh I definitely hear you UncleB. Can you join without his membership? Sure. However, you are less likely to have issues down the road if he joins first and sponsors you. Navy Fed's security dept don't play. So I always advise everyone to do all you can to not have to deal with them at all. Have all your ducks in a row.

I will probably app USAA Rate Advantage next year once my EQ is clean. I'll give them one more shot. Smiley Very Happy
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome info Uncle and thanks again baller for the info as well!

Will be apping for the cash rewards shortly and will prolly add the LOC at some point too.

Will also look into some USAA stuff down the road but def glad to be in with them too!

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not retire from the military but I did serve honorably.

I am not eligible for NFCU but I did join USAA.

They have outstanding auto insurance at good rates.

I did an app for a CC and was denied, my scores were in the low 500s then.  They offered a secured visa and I accepted for 250.  They are not kidding, it will not graduate, I have had it for close to 4 years and i use it occasionally.  I keep it because I want to display responsible usage and I will app for a regular CC when my next baddie falls off in  October.   My scores are in the 680 and 705 range now and I expect to be approved this time.

NFCU has a great rep for good CLs and for growing with people.  I'll probably never be able to qualify for NFCU but I'll keep watching. 

Both are great organizations to work with for financial products.

hth

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just posted about their direct deposit timelines.

USAA is the BEST for insurance.  I hardly pay anything for car and apartment.  Their banking is the fastest bill pay and deposit I've ever had. I applied and have their Classic Amex, which will be reviewed in 12-18 months for possible upgrade. They offer an Experian Fako.

NFCU is the BEST for loans and credit cards.  My highest SL is thru GoRewards and they offer to refi cars over 5yrs old. Whoa.  Their CDs have a higher % than USAA's, but I prefer to build my IRA's with USAA.

Apparently USAA mortgage is beyond amazing per my Mom, the Retired USAF, but it will be awhile before I have first hand knowledge.

Another note, USAA's free financial planner call line is decent. The more I read with myFico the more in depth our conversations. 

I will be testing both next year when I buy a new car for loans.

ive seen internet rumors that they treat Officers different than Enlisted, idk. I'm an Officer's brat and both institutions can do me no wrong.

edit:  my Father is retired x10yrs as well. Don't know if that helped. USAF. Probably.

Message 14 of 21
notpaul
Regular Contributor

UncleB: if you live near a branch just bring docs proving your eligibility and open in person. Then the verification is all done and that's pretty much the highest level they can ask for. 

6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 15 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@notpaul wrote:

UncleB: if you live near a branch just bring docs proving your eligibility and open in person. Then the verification is all done and that's pretty much the highest level they can ask for. 

Yeah, I thought about that when you had to make your drive, but for me the nearest branch is around 150 miles away, which is quite the 'road trip' just to show somebody some papers.  I'd also have to collect birth certificates and my parent's marriage certificate to show the relationship to my step-brother, which while not impossible it would be a pain (I'm sure I'd end up having to pay for new copies for each, especially the marriage certificate).

It just seems easier to let it happen 'organically' if possible (by getting him to properly join first, then sponsor me).  He won't be getting out until the late spring, so I have some time to 'remind' him about it.  He'll be two years short of retirement, so if he doesn't join before he's out he won't be able to.  I think since it will benefit him as much as me he will most likely follow through. 

Worst case scenario, when it gets right down to the time of him getting out and he still hasn't joined, I will join without him and take my chances, knowing that if they verify me it would be a pain, but I would eventually be OK once I collected all the various 'certificates'.

A few times I've questioned if I should even be concerned with joining NFCU since my needs are quite modest compared to many folks on here, and honestly, credit-wise I have all I really need.  However, I know things change, and I guess it never hurts to leave doors open for the future. 

Message 16 of 21
notpaul
Regular Contributor

On the plus side, Groton CT is really nice, I made a day trip out of it....the over 2 hour drive down there wasn't so awesome though. I questioned doing it myself...lol
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 17 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@notpaul wrote:
On the plus side, Groton CT is really nice, I made a day trip out of it....the over 2 hour drive down there wasn't so awesome though. I questioned doing it myself...lol

I have a brother in CT, and you're absolutely right... it's very nice there this time of year!  Smiley Very Happy

My own drive to a branch (should the need arise) would be to downtown Atlanta, which - especially during business hours - isn't nearly as pleasant... LOL! 

Message 18 of 21
jbsea
Established Contributor

Uncle B, Have your brother join online and pay the $5 dollars for him.  My son in active in the army and when he came back to visit I paid for his membership and well like ballerforlife and changed everything for my credit.  Best five dollars I've ever spent.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 19 of 21
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@jbsea wrote:

Uncle B, Have your brother join online and pay the $5 dollars for him.  My son in active in the army and when he came back to visit I paid for his membership and well like ballerforlife and changed everything for my credit.  Best five dollars I've ever spent.

Great minds think alike... Smiley Very Happy

That's exactly what I intend to do when I see him over the holidays.  He might not be thrilled about the TU HP, but I'm confident he'll do it once I stress to him he loses eligibility once he is discharged (he's two years shy of retirement). 

Once I'm sure he's "in", I'll probably hold off on my own membership until the end of the summer (when my last two baddies will be off my reports), and for the first time in 16 years I'll have a completely "clean" report!  I could likely get approved earlier (or even now) but I'm almost there, and for the moment I'm in good shape credit-card wise anyway.

Thanks again for an excellent suggestion!  Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.