Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU as Main Checking Account

tag
Toastmaster
Valued Member

NFCU as Main Checking Account

Hi all!  Not sure which board to put this is, Admins & Mods please feel free to move where you deem appropriate. 🙂

I am thinking (vacillating lol) about making NFCU my checking account for my wife and I.  I know they are *excellent* for credit, but how about for checking?

I like them because they seem to have a reasonably large enough free ATM footprint, and I read somewhere that they can ATM Fee Rebate up to $10 for ATMs outside of their network. (I have to find out how to sign up for this.)

How is their customer service?  How is their security against hacks?  How is their willingness to solve problems?  What about their website uptime? (I have never noticed a downtime issue with their website, but maybe you have?)

Thank you for your insights!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: NFCU as Main Checking Account

NFCU is highly regarded here. Customer Service is excellent. They are open 24/7/365.

Only minor fault is you can't ACH pull into checking or savings.

Free ACH push which is relatively quick.

For your reading pleasure. Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Message 2 of 10
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Around here you're probably gonna get great reviews, and I would agree.

I've had a great experience with them over the last 10 months or so.

I do wish I had a branch closer to me in the event an issue came up needing me to be there (about 120 miles away)

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 3 of 10
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

I've been a member since 2014 and I have nothing but love for them. There are various types of checking accounts that offer the ATM rebate. Just make sure you sign up for one of those. You can also use other CU in the network ATMs for free. They have instant issue debit cards if you are close to a branch. 

The only downtime I've experienced with the app or website is recently during the second round of stimulus payments. They put a note on the website encourging people to sign up for notifications but they didn't listen.

I recently had a debit card dispute and the process was super easy. They also provided a temporary credit while the investigated. The notification came in at 11:30-ish pm that a charge had been made. I called them up, spoke to a live person and it was handled.

Oh and there is no balance minimuns

Message 4 of 10
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

I've been a member since 2018 with their checking, savings, and certificate products. So far, this has been the best banking experience I've had. Easy to deal with and their customer service team members are incredibly friendly. Highly recommend!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 10
ghost-cell
Valued Member

So far stellar experience and am heavily considering making them my main instead of BofA

Have -

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU is pretty decent for banking. They have more downtime than my small local bank but it's nothing egregious. Their online security is excellent; they have more verification than any other bank or CU I do business with (I really like the ability to tap a notification from the app to login rather than relying on insecure methods like text messages) and the only way it could be better is if they offered TOTP so I could get a code from my authenticator app. They give free name only checks and I have noticed when I use my CLOC if I pay it back the same day they don't charge me any interest. They offer notifications for just about anything you could possibly want and they offer the ability to get them via text, push notification from their app, and email too. Their tech is miles ahead of most other CUs as well. 

The situation with ACH pull is annoying and I don't really understand why they will let you ACH pull to pay credit but not make a deposit. When I want to put money in the NFCU account I have to either use Zelle, write myself a check, or ACH push from an external account. 

Message 7 of 10
OmarR
Established Contributor

USAA is my main bank, and I do belong to NFCU with just $50 in my share account. USAA has never left me wanting, but with everyone usually raving about NFCU, I have entertained the thought of switching. I didn't know about the pull limitiation and that would be a deal breaker for me. 

I appreciate the DP in thread! I learned something new!

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 8 of 10
Toastmaster
Valued Member

Thank you very much!

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU is pretty decent for banking. They have more downtime than my small local bank but it's nothing egregious. Their online security is excellent; they have more verification than any other bank or CU I do business with (I really like the ability to tap a notification from the app to login rather than relying on insecure methods like text messages) and the only way it could be better is if they offered TOTP so I could get a code from my authenticator app. They give free name only checks and I have noticed when I use my CLOC if I pay it back the same day they don't charge me any interest. They offer notifications for just about anything you could possibly want and they offer the ability to get them via text, push notification from their app, and email too. Their tech is miles ahead of most other CUs as well. 

The situation with ACH pull is annoying and I don't really understand why they will let you ACH pull to pay credit but not make a deposit. When I want to put money in the NFCU account I have to either use Zelle, write myself a check, or ACH push from an external account. 

Message 9 of 10
Toastmaster
Valued Member

Thank you everyone for your insight and help!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.