Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay more to student loan or 401k

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

Re: Pay more to student loan or 401k

@Anonymous wrote:
Life isn't perfect. If your student loans are through the federal government I wouldn't pay anything extra on them at any time.

I would increase both savings and your 401k.

You have to think about it if everything went to hell tomorrow. And if everything went to hell tomorrow you can contact the federal government and have a variety of payment options on your student loans.

But if you put a lot of money into your student loans now and all hell breaks loose tomorrow that money won't be in your retirement and it won't be in the savings to help you.

Another way to think about it. If hell breaks tomorrow, you will loose your 401k but your student debt at 7% interest will be still there.

Message 11 of 18
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Life isn't perfect. If your student loans are through the federal government I wouldn't pay anything extra on them at any time.

You have to think about it if everything went to hell tomorrow. And if everything went to hell tomorrow you can contact the federal government and have a variety of payment options on your student loans.

But if you put a lot of money into your student loans now and all hell breaks loose tomorrow that money won't be in your retirement and it won't be in the savings to help you.

Another way to think about it. If hell breaks tomorrow, you will loose your 401k but your student debt at 7% interest will be still there.

Now isn't that the pitiful truth! Smiley Sad

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loan is actually 4%

If I were to put more to retirenment and savings and keep paying minimum on the SL, when I retire in 7 years would you pay off the loan with a lump sum from the 401K or keep making payments on the SL? 

Message 13 of 18
iced
Valued Contributor

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If there was enough hell to entirely wipe out equities/retirement savings (including 401k), I'll wager it was also sufficient to wipe out the systems holding student loan debt.

The key, already mentioned, is to keep enough in guaranteed positions to weather a market downturn, then you can let the riskier assets ride the storm and come out ahead. People only "lose" their 401k savings when they panic and liquidate their positions that dropped. There has never been a downturn that did not result in positions returning to and indeed exceeding where they once were after a few years.

Message 14 of 18
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Student loan is actually 4%

If I were to put more to retirenment and savings and keep paying minimum on the SL, when I retire in 7 years would you pay off the loan with a lump sum from the 401K or keep making payments on the SL? 

Depends on your 401k. If you're getting >7% YoY returns on your 401k, keep making payments. If you're not, pay off the SL.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I say hell breaks loose I'm speaking about losing a job or a business shutting down. Things that cause your income to no longer be present.
401k and savings are rarely affected by that.
Message 16 of 18
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
When I say hell breaks loose I'm speaking about losing a job or a business shutting down. Things that cause your income to no longer be present.
401k and savings are rarely affected by that.

That’s what 6-12 months emergency found is for. And I agree this should be the priority but your 401k should never be cashed before retirement. 

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with not Cashing Out 401K until retirement but sometimes things happen. And many times you can do a loan against 401k if necessary.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.