cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pen Fed Personal Loan...blank check...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pen Fed Personal Loan...blank check...

tcbofade, just few more suggestions.

1. Make sure you pay attention to restoring grace period for each card when you pay them off, look out for residual interest. Best is to call each and ask for the payoff amount that includes the residual interest for the current cycle, PIF and stop using the cards to allow them to post $0 on the next statement. Once the grace period is restored, make sure to report a small balance on at least one of the cards to avoid the All Zero FICO penalty of 15-20 points.

2. Assuming your current aggregate and individual UTIs are fairly high, there should be a decent scoring bump once the new CC balances settle in, this should open doors to better options with even lower APR, I would keep that option open once the new CC balances report. When searching for new options, always make sure the loan has no origination fee/closing cost, as well as prepayment (early payoff) penalty so you can pay it off early fee free.

Message 41 of 48
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

tcbofade, just few more suggestions.

1. Make sure you pay attention to restoring grace period for each card when you pay them off, look out for residual interest. Best is to call each and ask for the payoff amount that includes the residual interest for the current cycle, PIF and stop using the cards to allow them to post $0 on the next statement. Once the grace period is restored, make sure to report a small balance on at least one of the cards to avoid the All Zero FICO penalty of 15-20 points.

2. Assuming your current aggregate and individual UTIs are fairly high, there should be a decent scoring bump once the new CC balances settle in, this should open doors to better options with even lower APR, I would keep that option open once the new CC balances report. When searching for new options, always make sure the loan has no origination fee/closing cost, as well as prepayment (early payoff) penalty so you can pay it off early fee free.

Thank you for your thoughts...

I'm not ready for AZEO yet...I've got three zero percent deals going that I am NOT paying off... and two sizeable credit cards with lower interest rates then the new loan, so I'll be keeping those five balances for a while.

I'm not terribly worried about residual interest... yes, there will be some.  (...and I WAS aware, but thank you!)  When I get the bill, I'll pay it.  Smiley Happy

Current aggregate is around 25%... no individual cards over 68%.  Aggregate should drop below 9% and I'm hoping for a nice score boost when that happens. 

...and part of the conversation I had with the branch manager at the local bank included a promise to return and speak to her again when my score reaches 720.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 42 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like you got everything covered, forgot you're a super contributor. Smiley Embarassed

Message 43 of 48
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Looks like you got everything covered, forgot you're a super contributor. Smiley Embarassed

...and I'm learning everyday.  Smiley Wink

thank you for your help! 

Message 44 of 48
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Deposited check on Friday, 26 October.

Logged in to Penfed this morning, the loan shows up with first payment due on 12/04!

My bank is still holding the funds until Tuesday, 06 November (which is fine!) but it's nice to see it show up on Penfeds site.

....I'm a real boy!....   Smiley Happy

Message 45 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.

Mine is still on my desk taunting me.  I'm thinking of depositing it, then immediately paying it down to below 8% remaining balance to see what happens to my score but the 12.99% interest rate is discouraging me.

Message 46 of 48
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

DW used hers it was super easy deposited check on 23 on 24 funds were available showed on the Penfed site 2 days later super easy to do. Just to add about a week later u will get a promissory note u have to sign and send back.

Message 47 of 48
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats.

Mine is still on my desk taunting me.  I'm thinking of depositing it, then immediately paying it down to below 8% remaining balance to see what happens to my score but the 12.99% interest rate is discouraging me.

Foul!  Unnecessary roughness.  15 negative Kudos for the cheeseheads!  Smiley Tongue

Message 48 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.