Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed CD rates keep on dropping

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

PenFed CD rates keep on dropping

I noticed in the past couple of weeks that PenFed decreased their CD rates. Currently their 1 year CD is 2.25% vs Alliant 2.7%. Even their 3 year CD is below average at 2.5% vs BECU which is now 2.68%.

I remember them being more competitive.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PenFed CD rates keep on dropping

Mortgage rates dipped too.

Maybe in your case two lenders isn’t enough Smiley Wink

        
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed has been dropping more severely than most others, including NFCU which is still running a 2.65%/10 months promo. I do wonder why; I hope it's not a sign of any stability issues.

Message 3 of 7
Green456
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:
Mortgage rates dipped too.

Maybe in your case two lenders isn’t enough Smiley Wink

I actually got 4 right now. Alliant, PenFed, BECU and Fort Knox. I am most likely going to end my membership with Fort Knox.

Message 4 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Penfed has been dropping more severely than most others, including NFCU which is still running a 2.65%/10 months promo. I do wonder why; I hope it's not a sign of any stability issues.

Naw, the opposite - when banks/CU's lower savings rates when the Fed rates are stable it means they have more than adequate funds for lending. When banks offer unusually high savings rates that can be a sign of possible stability issues. I've had accounts at Penfed for several years, they've never offered particularly attractive savings rates.

Message 5 of 7
SBR249
Established Contributor

The 1 year treasury rates have also gone down in the past few months. 

If you look at the 1-year T-Bill rates at the beginning of every month in 2019:

01/02: 2.60%

02/01: 2.56%

03/01: 2.55%

04/01: 2.41%

05/01: 2.39%

05/24: 2.33%

Depending on PenFed's investing strategy, their investment could have a heavier mix of Treasuries and thus track Treasury rates more closely. 

Message 6 of 7
Namaste7
Established Contributor

I was bummed out by PF’s rate drops but SBR249’s explains the likely reason. Ironically, my other, super-conservative, local credit union has held strong at 2.7% for the 12-month CDs. I am committed to building a stronger deposit relationship with CUs this year; however, if I find their rates to lag or become inconsistent over the course of the year, I’ll have to reassess where to maintain my ST savings.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.