Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Credit Union?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Credit Union?

So we're thinking that joining a CU would be good for us, especially when looking to refinance a car loan and RV loan in a few months (once our scores finish climbing a bit).

I looked into local CU's but that saw someone mention PenFed being excellent.  I always thought they were only available to vets/military but it seems they are open to anyone now.  So just wondering how easy they are to work with, etc.?

We've been customers with US Bank for over 30 years now but rarely have to go into a branch so not having a local branch isn't really a concern (would probably keep an account there for now anyways).

I realize this might be in the wrong section, please feel free to move it mods.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: PenFed Credit Union?

Haha no one can answer this for you - opinions of penfed are all over the map.  They're great for many and not so much for many.  Underwriting appears to be more lenient for loans than credit cards. Those that have used them for auto report good, fast, and streamlined experiences for the most part. Rates are pretty good too but can be bested by other credit unions (nfcu comes to mind). 

Personally, I'm ambivalent- neither love them or hate them. I have not had a bad experience but they don't make me feel warm and fuzzy either.  Customer service can leave a lot to be desired. That said, i absolutly think it's a membership worth having - even if you don't app for anything right away. 

They like good incomes and low/moderate DTI.  Others will come along to add thir 2cents i'm sure. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meh, think I'll stick with a local CU (we have many good ones in the area).  Nice to be able to go into a branch location if/when needed.

Honestly I'm really only wanting to join one for the loans lol.  We've been with US Bank for so long and I know how things "work" with their system, apps, our accounts, etc. Have never really had bad service and they do have a branch right next door to our apartment building.

Message 3 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

You can become a penfed member tho - put the required $5 in the savings account and let it sit -  you never know when you may see something worthwhile-  they also send good offers in the mail -  pre-approved blank personal loan checks up to $25k, for example, you literally just deposit it into your bank account to accept - no hard pull, no income verification.  I've received a few of them over the last 3 years - just haven't needed it.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 8
SB_F
Contributor

Happy so far except for the HP on EQ when applying in Oct 2019. I have seen here since then that others have joined without HP. I went directly to the site to apply, but I think others may have responed to an ad or email. They are a little slow and getting the account established not in person was a pain. I did just add the Access America bank account last week and may apply for an auto loan or cc soon after gardening and significantly raising scores since applying.

BK13 filed 11/2013 discharged 6/2019
Oct 2019 EQ 672 TU 643 EX 663
Julu 2021 EQ 840 TU 828 EX 819
Message 5 of 8
sxa001
Valued Contributor

If you are specifically looking for good auto rates I would shop around a little bit based on what you are looking for.  For example PenFed advertises 2.49% on a used loan rate for 36 months.  DCU (Digital Credit Union) advertises the 1.99% for used loans up to 65 Months. DCU might be the better choice.  I am not sure how much you are financing, with those differences you are only talking a couple of hundred bucks difference on a 3 year loan.  PenFed is higher though on a 60 month term and could be talking $1000 difference if you did a 5 year loan.  

I can't speak to PenFed as a credit union, they have sent me offers in the past for various cards, some better than others but I haven't bitten yet.  They are a possible backup if AOD nerfs the 3% everything card.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My issue is going to be that we're probably going to be a bit upside down with our current vehicle so will have some negative equity that we need to carry over into our next vehicle. Not an idea situation so will be looking for someone willing to loan at more than 100%. 

I know one of the local CUs here indicated they would go to 130 (at a higher rate obviously) but anything has got to be lower than the 11% we're paying now lol. Scores were pretty crappy a few years ago. 

Message 7 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

@sxa001 wrote:

If you are specifically looking for good auto rates I would shop around a little bit based on what you are looking for.  For example PenFed advertises 2.49% on a used loan rate for 36 months.  DCU (Digital Credit Union) advertises the 1.99% for used loans up to 65 Months. DCU might be the better choice.  I am not sure how much you are financing, with those differences you are only talking a couple of hundred bucks difference on a 3 year loan.  PenFed is higher though on a 60 month term and could be talking $1000 difference if you did a 5 year loan.  

I can't speak to PenFed as a credit union, they have sent me offers in the past for various cards, some better than others but I haven't bitten yet.  They are a possible backup if AOD nerfs the 3% everything card.

Ah! That's who I was thinking of when I mentioned better rates - DCU not NFCU. TY.

DCU seems to have its own issues too tho -incl very long wait times for customer service. I cant really speak on their products as I only have their savings account with $1k parked for their 6.17% interest rate (6.17% is only on the first 1k) but it may be something worth looking into for auto. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.