Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed Membership Tips and Rules

tag
TheAuthorizedUser
New Contributor

Penfed Membership Tips and Rules

I have been combing through the forum trying to find out a few things about Penfed Membership. Hopefully you guys can help me out and with some answers/insight/DPs..

1. Is Membership still a hard pull?
  2. If so, would it be wise to apply for one of their cards as well?
  3. Would an app for a card use the same hard pull that was used to open the account?

Thank you in advance for any insight provided 👍

Garden Life: 4.01.20
Leaving Garden: 1.15.22
Updated: 4.15.20

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Penfed Membership Tips and Rules

@TheAuthorizedUser wrote:

1. Is Membership still a hard pull?  Maybe / Maybe not.
  2. If so, would it be wise to apply for one of their cards as well?  It will be an additional hard pull for a card.
  3. Would an app for a card use the same hard pull that was used to open the account?    Nope. 

Penfed is hard pull happy -- Always expect a hard pull unless you are accepting a pre-approved offer that appears in your account portal - those would be based on soft pulls. 

Membership is iffy -- some are able to become members with a soft pull while others have a hard pull.   Expect a hard pull, be happy if it's a soft pull. 

If membership is a hard pull and you decide to app for credit, there will more than likely be another hard pull.   Using the same hard pull within a certain time frame is, in most cases, no longer a thing.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

I have been combing through the forum trying to find out a few things about Penfed Membership. Hopefully you guys can help me out and with some answers/insight/DPs..

1. Is Membership still a hard pull?
  2. If so, would it be wise to apply for one of their cards as well?
  3. Would an app for a card use the same hard pull that was used to open the account?

Thank you in advance for any insight provided 👍

1. SP as recent data points suggest. YEMV Your Experience May Vary.

2. If SP, then no need to apply for credit if your intention was not to apply for credit. If HP, yes, you may try to apply for credit so hopefully it will only be one HP.

3. However, expect a HP for each application (membership + credit application). Your YEMV if done online or on the phone with CSR.

For your reading pleasure. Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thornback is spot on. I applied for membership last summer. Hard pull for that. Then immediately applied for a card which resulted in another hard pull.

Message 4 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@thornback wrote:

2. If so, would it be wise to apply for one of their cards as well?  It will be an additional hard pull for a card.
  3. Would an app for a card use the same hard pull that was used to open the account?    Nope. 

Penfed is hard pull happy -- Always expect a hard pull unless you are accepting a pre-approved offer that appears in your account portal - those would be based on soft pulls. 

Membership is iffy -- some are able to become members with a soft pull while others have a hard pull.   Expect a hard pull, be happy if it's a soft pull. 

If membership is a hard pull and you decide to app for credit, there will more than likely be another hard pull.   Using the same hard pull within a certain time frame is, in most cases, no longer a thing.

Are you 200 WPM Words Per Minute? TTS Text To Speach? Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 9
thornback
Senior Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@thornback wrote:

lmao Smiley Tongue I'm on my laptop now... in the zone when working with a full keyboard...

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 6 of 9
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@thornback is spot on. I applied for membership last summer. Hard pull for that. Then immediately applied for a card which resulted in another hard pull.

And when I became a member in 2017 I had a SP for membership and a HP for my PCR app right after...   no ryhme or reason as to why some are SPs and others are HPs as far as we can tell.

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 7 of 9
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@thornback wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

@thornback wrote:

lmao Smiley Tongue I'm on my laptop now... in the zone when working with a full keyboard...

You're smoking! Keyboard is on fire Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

#1 Tip:

Do not feed after Midnight

Rule #1 : Dont mention AverageJoesCredit nor repeat 3 times , especially in a Penfed facilty!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.