Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejoining Navy Federal Credit Union Using A Security Appeal

tag
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

Rejoining Navy Federal Credit Union Using A Security Appeal

There is life after leaving NFCU, but it is a cold one credit-wise. However, I learned there are ways to return when someone strays off the path. My story is unique and may not fit all situations, However, it might be able to help someone who needs to restore their account while rebuilding their credit. Rejoining led to me receiving my first NFCU CashRewards card with an $18K limit.

The Backstory

Navy Federal has some of the best credit cards with the lowest barriers to entry and the largest limits, which is why the ability to join is so attractive. I was able to join originally because my wife at the time was Navy and had an NFCU account. Problem is, I didn’t know how important NFCU was in the 1990’s when I first joined and let my account lapse 26 years ago after my divorce. 

Fast forward to 2021, and I wanted to rejoin. I applied online hoping I would pass muster. However I received an email that I was under review. Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 11.05.39 PM.png

I called the security department and discussed my account. Because the account was older it had no data on why it was closed or what the issue was. He explained that many others want to rejoin later in life and some are permitted provided they correct a prior issue, such as overdrafts or fees. But in my case the data was so old they couldn’t figure out the source of the security hold. 

I was advised to submit an appeal to rejoin and was advised what to write. After the conversation, I was emailed a link to an appeals form, and I was instructed to fill it out and mail it back to Security Appeals (SecurityAppeals@navyfederal.org). 

I argued in the top section that since no money was owed (I have know idea if they ever were and it was just forgotten). I also argued my move from the area of the branch and caused the lapse, reiterating nothing was owed. Section C was also used to further support the request. Section BSection B

Section CSection C

The OutcomeSecurity Hold RemovedSecurity Hold Removed

Member since.pngIt took ten days, but the security appeal was approved and I was allowed to rejoin. When I logged in for the first time, I was surprised to see in the upper corner it said, “Member since 1995”. I spent the next 11 months making small deposits. I applied for the CashRewards Card 11 months later and was approved for $18K.  (If you wish to see the data points refer back to my approval post here). It may take some time, but appealing a suspension or security hold costs nothing but time and is worth the effort. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Rejoining Navy Federal Credit Union Using A Security Appeal

Thank you for the valuable DPs. This will undoubtedly help anyone who is looking to get back in with Navy. Smiley Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 17
sznthescore
Established Contributor

Congratulations! 🎉 Navy Federal let me back in as well. I posted too about my experience recently (6/2021). Different situation, but I'm back in. Same similar process. Mine says member since 2011, after being blocked for like 7 years. Navy Federal rocks! 

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 3 of 17
HeavyResist
Frequent Contributor

Thanks @sznthescore : just read your article about rejoining and you went the extra mile. Congrats! 

Message 4 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on getting back in with NFCU and jumping through their hoops, for sure worth it to get an $18K CL on your CashRewards card Smiley Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on getting back in with NFCU and thank you for sharing your experience! They go above and beyond for their members and this was a very worthwhile thing to do!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your story and giving us the DPs.

Message 7 of 17
Sonic98
New Contributor

I need to rejoin myself. I had an ex who overdrew my checking account and charged items on my NFCU credit card. I definitely would want to get back with them now. That was almost 20 years ago

Message 8 of 17
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the DPs, @HeavyResist!

@Sonic98 wrote:

I need to rejoin myself. I had an ex who overdrew my checking account and charged items on my NFCU credit card. I definitely would want to get back with them now. That was almost 20 years ago

Let us know how it works out.

Message 9 of 17
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@HeavyResist You give me hope. Maybe I should do another security appeal. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.